Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup replacement

Hello Everyone

The guitar in question is an Ibanez 3120 Prestige that needs some help. It has a Tone Zone in the bridge and its just a flabby, farty mess with no definition. The pickup has been in for a few months and any adjustment made doesn't seem to help.

I mostly play hard rock through a Boogie Stiletto head. The head itself is very temperamental with EQ, but I also play a Les Paul (Dirty Fingers) through the same amp that sounds good to me. Plenty of punch and clarity and cleans up well.

Selling the guitar is the last thing on my mind because it plays great. I'll provide a link to the specs of this guitar

Thanks

The RG3120F is an RG series solid body electric guitar model introduced by Ibanez in 2005. It was made in Japan by FujiGen as part of the Prestige line. The RG3120F features a AAA grade flamed maple top on a mahogany body bolted to a maple and walnut Wizard Prestige neck with a 24-fret rosewood fingerboard with small dot position markers. Components include dual DiMarzio/Ibanez humbucking pickups, an Edge Pro double locking tremolo bridge with a locking nut and Gotoh tuning machines. The RG3120

Re: Pickup replacement

A super distortion would go well in it.

Comment

Maybe a Distortion or Black winter or Alternative 8 for the bridge. You could even try a Dimebucker.
      Originally posted by KBliss
      WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
      Originally posted by trevorus
      The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Steve's Special.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
        @ArizonaVoters

Comment

X2N!!!!

Comment

Black Winters are nice and tight. You might check those out.

Comment

Before we throw out advice based on the limited info:

What is it that this guitar doesn't have that you want?

Need more bass? Tighter bass?
              Need more mids? Upper/mid/lower mids?
              Need more highs? Sharper or rounder?

What about about? Although with the Mesa shouldn't matter….

Dirty Fingers sounds like Dirty fingers whatever it is in pretty much. You are digging a mega output pickup. Obvious answer is obvious; Get another Dirty Fingers.
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by kramersteen View Post
                A super distortion would go well in it.
                Seriously? Dude does not like the Tone Zone. You really think he'll like the SuperD any better? They are different but not THAT different.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                  Before we throw out advice based on the limited info:

What is it that this guitar doesn't have that you want?

Need more bass? Tighter bass?
                  Need more mids? Upper/mid/lower mids?
                  Need more highs? Sharper or rounder?

What about about? Although with the Mesa shouldn't matter….

Dirty Fingers sounds like Dirty fingers whatever it is in pretty much. You are digging a mega output pickup. Obvious answer is obvious; Get another Dirty Fingers.
                  Hi everyone

Thanks for all the responses

It definitely doesn't need more bass. I would say tighter bass if not cut back quite a bit. It sounds ok clean but add in some dirt and chords start to flub out as described.

However, the Boogie does play a role in this as the Fluid Drive setting can be a bit muddy. I cured it for the most part with the Les Paul by putting the Dirty Fingers in there. So maybe your right, and my first consideration which is throwing a Dirty Fingers in the Ibanez.

I did read up on the other suggestions and the Steve's Special sounds interesting as well. Is it the consensus that ceramic mags are going to help tighten up a guitar tone? If so that would mean the Duncan Distortion is another possibility?

Thanks again
                  Last edited by Ahpook; 06-06-2014, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Tightest and clearest pups from duncan would be a Full Shred, Dimebucker, and the Alternative 8 for passive pups.
                    Originally posted by KBliss
                    WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                    Originally posted by trevorus
                    The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Working...
                    X