banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First build, Tele coil split wiring headache!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First build, Tele coil split wiring headache!

Hello everyone,
    This is my first post, and my query relates to my first guitar build. It's a Telecaster with standard routing. I have purchased a Hot Rhythm for the neck, and a little 59 for the bridge. My hope was to be able to do a coil split on the little 59. I was told that using a 5 way switch would give me:
    1. Split single coil bridge
    2. Split Bridge single, & Neck
    3. Neck
    4. Neck & Humbucker bridge
    5. Humbucker bridge

I was told to use 250k pots, though I have read there are different types. Capacitor...I'm not sure. I play Blues and rock so wanted a versatille guitar. Somebody also suggested that the control plate routing wouldn't be deep enough for the switch?

Basically, I can't find a wiring diagram anywhere for this setup. Maybe this is because this isn't the best way to do it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: First build, Tele coil split wiring headache!

Actually you don't need a 5 way switch for what you want. Since the Tele just has 2 pickups, use a push/pull pot or a dpdt switch to do a coil split. Pull it out for single coil, push it in for humbucker. That will do the same thing.

Split off:

1. HB Bridge
    2. HB Bridge and SC Neck
    3. SC Neck

Split on:
    1. SC Bridge
    2. SC Bridge and SC Neck
    3. SC Neck

Diagram here: http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...1sing_pushpull

Comment

Hi and thanks very much for your help. There is a 4th wire from the 59 which I read is for coil splitting but I can't see it on the diagram. I'm I getting this confused?

Comment

There should be 5 wires. Black, green, red, white, and bare. The green and bare go to the back of the volume pot, black goes to the switch, and the red/white pair go to the push pull. Hard to see but it's there.

Comment

Originally posted by TNTales View Post
          There should be 5 wires. Black, green, red, white, and bare. The green and bare go to the back of the volume pot, black goes to the switch, and the red/white pair go to the push pull. Hard to see but it's there.
          I have just got home and see the five wires, apologies I was at work and didn't have the pickup with me. That's great, thanks for the advice. Any opinion on a suitable capacitor please?

Comment

The cap is probably best at .022uF, mainly as a bucker is slightly darker than a s/c and you want to have the option of all the cut.....it can always be dialled out if necessary.

Comment

I see, thanks for the advice. So it sounds like I will need...
              A standard 3 way switch.
              Volume push pull, normal tone pot, both 250k.
              .022uF capacitor.

Anybody know if there are varied switch sizes that might cause fitting issues? Just something I read somewhere.

Thanks guys, I wish I had registered for this forum sooner!

Comment

Working...
              X