banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I want a more "piano-like" sound from my strat....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I want a more "piano-like" sound from my strat....

I use my strat for clean sounds like 95% of the time.

What pickups would get me closer to this sound?
    I am using a Quarter Pound in the bridge and 2 Texas Specials right now. Definitely too midrange-y and dark now.

Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
    Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Re: So I want a more "piano-like" sound from my strat....

fat 50's, or something resembling that.

The Rose Robustas I have in my '62RI are pretty good at nailing that kinda warm, fat, round, big bottom piano/bell like sound. They're based off the fat 50's set.

Comment

antiquity II surfers. ive been using my hardtail alder/maple neck strat with a trio of surfers a fair amount lately and it sounds fantastic. like a classic strat should

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        antiquity II surfers. ive been using my hardtail alder/maple neck strat with a trio of surfers a fair amount lately and it sounds fantastic. like a classic strat should
        BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

The SSL-1 (aka the Fat 50s) set is something John Frusciante has used and they have the sort of sound you describe. Also doesn't hurt to tweak your amp to reduce the mids, turn up your amp and then do very gentle finger picking like the guy in the video. Fender's Vintage Noiseless are good also, unless you want a traditional single coil. But I'd try playing with your amp settings first to see if you can make the sound you want.

Comment

Piano like to me are the late 60s, early 70s type super low output pickups.... Fender CS69s, Fralin woodstocks, GFS greybottoms,and the like. I think Duncan makes a custom shop set that is similar too.

I have had the CS69s in a handful of strats, and they are excellent if you are looking for later Hendrix, Trower, Blackmore, Uli Roth type strat tones.
            I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

the cs69's are really nice pups and do have the piano thing going on with the low notes. I like the surfers better overall though

Comment

Originally posted by TNTales View Post
                The SSL-1 (aka the Fat 50s) set is something John Frusciante has used and they have the sort of sound you describe. Also doesn't hurt to tweak your amp to reduce the mids, turn up your amp and then do very gentle finger picking like the guy in the video. Fender's Vintage Noiseless are good also, unless you want a traditional single coil. But I'd try playing with your amp settings first to see if you can make the sound you want.
                Just want to clarify that the set of SSL-1 pickups are the California 50's set. (Fat 50s are a Fender Custom Shop set)
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Could find one of these guys.

Comment

Buy it a rosewood neck - that'll help.
                    Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

I think the Fat 50's and Ant II Surfers are both the most piano like that I've tried, with the Ant II Surfer having a wider dynamic range and the Fat 50's being hotter and more compressed. The CS 69's are a lower wind and sort of have that clanging piano attack also, but also have scooped mids that put them somewhere between piano and the strat / quack tone.

Comment

Thanks guys! I'll get some surfers.

Comment

In that video... he is singing through a condenser microphone and the guitar strings are right up to the microphone. You can hear quite a lot of the acoustic sound of the strings which is giving the guitar more delicate treble frequencies than are actually coming through the amplifier.

Just wanted to put that out there.
                          Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

I say Fender Custom Shop 69's

And yes, the Antiquity II Surfers are great too. I can't bring myself to say they are BETTER though. I owned them both. They were a little darker, fatter, more rounded highs as Duncan tend to be, a little throatier. Enjoyed them more than the SSL-1's though. It's like they had more depth than the SSL-1's. Still have the 69's in my Roadworn Strat. As for the Fat 50's I only liked it in the neck position. Too much mid squawk for other positions for my taste. Have one in my Gilmour strat build.

Comment

Just picked up a set of surfers.

Comment

Working...
                              X