Wiring question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring question?

Ok here's what i'm trying to do. I have a H-S-H set up with a master vol and master tone thats a Push/Push pot that will be wired to function as a normal tone pot and a LCR filter(Q-filter).

My question pertains to the pup selection.
    I want to be able to choose
    1.)Neck hum series
    2.)Neck hum parallel
    3.)Single
    4.)Bridge parallel
    5.)Bridge hum series

Do I need a 5way super switch for this or will my regular 5way do? Also what diagram would I use?
    Originally posted by KBliss
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
    Originally posted by trevorus
    The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Re: Wiring question?

You might be able to use a push/pull pot to swap between series and parallel (think S1 switch). I'm not sure if you'd need one for each pickup (neck and bridge). Someone else may be able to tell you exactly how to wire it. Should work with a standard 5-way. Unless you're set on being able to do it all with the switch.

I did find this diagram that shows how to wire a dpdt swtich for series/parallel/split: http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...?schematic=ssp

Here's a diagram for H/S/H with 1 vol, 1 tone and a push/pull. Like I said though, someone will have to tell you how to wire it for series/parallel. http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...1t_5w_pushpull

Comment

The Push pot already serves a function so I need the switching to happen on the 5way switch.
      WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
      The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Make life easier on yourself, and those of us who will draw the diagram. Get a Superswitch.

Comment

Thanks ill look around for one this week. Now I just need to find a Diagram.

Comment

Ok another question.

If I wanted to set up the switch for
            1.)Neck hum
            2.)Neck hum outer coil/middle Noiseless single in parallel
            3.)Middle noiseless single
            4.)bridge hum outer coil/middle noiseless single in parallel
            5.)bridge hum

is that possible? I know the notch positions won't quack or sound exactly like a SSS strat would but I just want to keep the 2 and 4 positions hum free.

Comment

Yup. Very do-able. I've got several irons-in-the-fire right now, but I can get on this soon, if no one beats me to it.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                Yup. Very do-able. I've got several irons-in-the-fire right now, but I can get on this soon, if no one beats me to it.
                I would be very grateful if you did.

Their's more to the wiring though. All in all i'm aiming for is a master vol, a master tone that is also wired as a Q-filter with a push push pot. The only other thing would be the wiring for the switch and thats it. The pickups in question are all from Bill and Becky Lawrence. L90/l298M/l500L. Not sure how many wires come on each pup but I should have them sometime this week along with a 5way super switch.

Color Code for Wilde and Keystone Pickups

Single Coil Size for Strat

Neck -- White Wire Hot/Black Wire Ground
                Middle -- Green Wire Hot/Black Wire Ground

Bridge -- Red Wire Hot/Black Wire Ground

All Pickups with White/Black/Blue Wires

White Wire -- Hot

Black/ Blue Wires -- Ground

All Pickups with White/Black/Red/Green/Blue Wires

White Wire -- Hot

Black/Blue Wires -- Ground

Red/Green Wires -- Twist together, insulate with shrink wrap or electrical tape for humbucking OR solder to either a push/pull or on/off switch for split coil.

This is the diagram for wiring the Q-filter from Bill Lawrence's website
                Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Not a problem. I just wired up an axe for a friend not too long ago with almost this exact configuration. The only difference was, he wanted both a tone control and the Q-filter. (And, both pups were Bill Lawrence.)

Comment

If I had a third pot I most likely would of did the same thing. How did he like the pups and sounds?

Comment

Can't say just yet. I had the whole job done when he decided to get the body refinished. We took everything out again. The body still hasn't come back yet.

Comment

My pups should be here later on in the week. Just wanted to know if you are still able to draw out the diagram?

Comment

Working...
                        X