Hot(ish) NECK pup in BRIDGE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot(ish) NECK pup in BRIDGE?

Feel free to share your experiences. Thinking about putting a Painkiller-N in the bridge of an LP-shaped guitar for reference sake.
    -Mike-

Originally posted by rhymes with metalchurch79
    I take peoples advice after i do some quick math to determine if the lie detector test determines they are full of sh**. Take their post count x 5minutes per post = how much time they didnt spend playing or working on their guitars. The Pros will be spotted right away.

Re: Hot(ish) NECK pup in BRIDGE?

Well, there are all sorts of Dimarzio Neck pickups that are regularly used in the bridge position. The one that comes to mind fitting your criteria is the Breed neck pickup.
    -
    Austin
    "Brobucker? Does it smell like Axe body spray, Smirnoff Ice, and is best suited for playing Nickleback covers?"

Comment

Hi there SrDeMaFp,
      I think I speak for all of me when I say- I'll give you 5 bucks to change that photo and last but not least that quote. I may not be able to sleep for days after that!
      Yes, it is a free world. Just my 100 cents. I'll probably get censured under the freedom of speech act.
      Steve

Comment

There are only 2 issues I could think of. 1) string spacing. The strings are farther apart at the bridge than the neck. Dunno if it's enough to matter, but still something to think about. 2) magnets/winds. Usually neck pickups have weaker magnets to keep from pulling down the strings at the neck and have lower DC resistance. This could make it a little wimpy in the bridge.

I'm not an expert though, so I could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by austin View Post
          Well, there are all sorts of Dimarzio Neck pickups that are regularly used in the bridge position. The one that comes to mind fitting your criteria is the Breed neck pickup.
          -
          Austin
          I asked the guy at Dimarzio for a PAF Pro type sound that was fatter for the bridge. He said Breed Neck in bridge. It was a completely uninspiring pickup. It had more mids than the PAF Pro, but it didnt have the treble so it wasnt a shreddy pickup, nor did it have the dimarzio cocked wah "voice" of their other pickups. Even though a little hotter, it wasn't a gainy pickup and would have been cooler with more output. IOW, the Fred and PAF Pro work with medium output because they are so trebly. A bland pickup like the Breed neck needs more output for the bridge.

Comment

Have you checked out the FRED.

Comment

I've always thought the DActivator X Neck would be pretty cool in the bridge...Some people really like the LiquiFire in the bridge.....

Comment

Originally posted by TNTales View Post
                There are only 2 issues I could think of. 1) string spacing. The strings are farther apart at the bridge than the neck. Dunno if it's enough to matter, but still something to think about. 2) magnets/winds. Usually neck pickups have weaker magnets to keep from pulling down the strings at the neck and have lower DC resistance. This could make it a little wimpy in the bridge.

I'm not an expert though, so I could be wrong.
                Wrong on both counts.
                -
                Austin
                "Brobucker? Does it smell like Axe body spray, Smirnoff Ice, and is best suited for playing Nickleback covers?"

Comment

I see people using D-Activator necks in the bridge all the time over on sevenstring.org. It's super bright, so it keeps the low end clear. Imagine it would kinda suck for leads since I find it to be a little too bright in the neck.
                  Current Gear:
                  LTD MH-400 (Gotoh GE1996T bridge; Black Winters)
                  LTD EC-1000T/CTM (BKP Ragnaroks)
                  Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
                  Duncan 805 OD
                  Jet City JCA100HDM
                  Jet City JCA100LTD
                  Mesa Dual Rectifier
                  Jet City American Custom Modern 2x12
                  Suhr Reactive Load

Comment

Originally posted by SJ318 View Post
                    Hi there SrDeMaFp,
                    I think I speak for all of me when I say- I'll give you 5 bucks to change that photo and last but not least that quote. I may not be able to sleep for days after that!
                    Yes, it is a free world. Just my 100 cents. I'll probably get censured under the freedom of speech act.
                    Steve

Comment

Local forum bro KBliss put an a8 Pearly gate neck in the bridge of his guitar and it sounded awesome! He uploaded a few videos on youtube, check them out

Comment

Working...
                      X