High gain Seth question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High gain Seth question

Hey guys. Really want your opinions on this. I am intrigued by trying an unpotted set and particularly love the tone of the Seths. I have read many testimonials online saying how they squeal horribly under high gain/high volume. Although i DO play with modern high gain, i get it all from pedals and external effects. My amp is always at a moderate volume(less than 50 watts), and any real volume comes from getting miked through the house p.a. Since the amp volume is moderate, even with extreme gain, do you think they should work? Thanks for any replies!!

Re: High gain Seth question

You could have them wax pot you a model if your worried about feedback it would be a shop floor custom order most likely.
    Originally posted by KBliss
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
    Originally posted by trevorus
    The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

I had Seths in my SG and played through a JTM45 into a 4x12. To make them squeal, I had to face the guitar within 18" of the cabinet. Feedback, however, would happen anywhere up to 6' straight out in front of the speaker cones. As long as I was off center axis from the speaker cones, I had control.

Comment

See, that's the thing, Beau. I've heard tell that these pickups can feedback easiy, but in a very "musical"' nice way. I've never played unpotted pups before and would love to if just because of the differences they bring to the table. By the way, if it makes any difference, they're going in an all mahogany LP Custom.

Comment

Roughly speaking, they squeal for me with loud distortion and in close proximity to the amp, which is not an uncommon situation. Mine are in a semi hallow body, so that might trigger feedback more readily than if they were mounted in a solid body, I don't know. But clean to mildly over driven, they're fine. And there is nothing musical about the squealing when it does happen. It's more hideous than microphone feedback.

Maybe just buy one to start with, and if you have trouble during a gig, switch away from the Seth. IMO, the lack of potting gives them a spontaneous mid range that to me seems organic. I think they're more reactive to the circumstances of volume and sound, microphonic both for better and for worse. I might be imaging things, though. Best to try for yourself and see if you agree.

Comment

It all depends on what you are talking about. If its microphonic squeal then this is annoying and atonal.

feedback, where it is related to notes you are playing/holding can often be manipulated by stance. But beware the room where it becomes unavoidable.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
              I had Seths in my SG and played through a JTM45 into a 4x12. To make them squeal, I had to face the guitar within 18" of the cabinet. Feedback, however, would happen anywhere up to 6' straight out in front of the speaker cones. As long as I was off center axis from the speaker cones, I had control.
              Sorry but a JTM45 isnt high gain... But it does bring up a good point if they squeal under a JTM45's gain...then...

Ive had seths in a LP standard and for high gain they just leave a lot to be desired. Mostly because when you pick and you want the note to compress it wont. Its hard to get them to sustain without a squeal (this can be good or bad depending on what your doing) This was done at volumes say equivalent to a loud TV but not loud enough to play with a drummer. I found playing them in a high gain setting made me beat on them more trying to get it out of them but its just not there.
              "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
              you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

There's also gain vs volume. Because high volume will also do as much as gain will.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                  There's also gain vs volume. Because high volume will also do as much as gain will.
                  Sure but the OP is asking about a high gain moderate volume situation.
                  "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                  you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Yep, I was more answering the general 'Seths and feedback' issue I guess.

Comment

Thanks for all the advise guys. Think maybe i should go with my second choice: Dimarzio 36th Anniversaries. I am in love with the Seths tone, but seems a potted pup is a safe bet in my situation.

Comment

You could look into Jim Wagner (WCR) pickups as well. He doesn't pot his pickups, but uses some 'secret sauce' instead. Love his stuff. Darkburst would be a good start.
                        Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

Last edited by SirJackdeFuzz; 06-09-2014, 09:24 AM.
                          Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

You shouldn't have any problems unless you're standing right in front of your amp and facing it.

Comment

I've used Seth's in my bridge LP Custom with a Hot Rod Fender Deluxe with the amp on 7, no master gain channel, with a sparkle drive as a boost in a small club with a ferociously loud drummer, and outside also, using an A5 mag and A2 mag in both situations at other similar venues over the last 4-5 years and never had a problem with UNwanted feedback. Gave plenty of sustain in a good way. I love Seth's. Keep meaning to try one with an A8 mag for bigger mids but haven't done it yet.
                              Also used 'em stats, tele's and my SG. Same deal. Always in control, feedback never been a problem. Cover on or off, No potted pickups. The group I get a chance to play with every now and then is one loud blues/rock band. LOUD. With second lead guitarist who is also very loud. So I gotta turn up to keep up and I like it cause the band is fun!
                              Steve Buffington

Comment

Working...
                              X