banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Much of an Effect Does Wind PATTERN Have on q Pickup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Much of an Effect Does Wind PATTERN Have on q Pickup?

Seriously, I'm really curious. I know different magnets, wire type, wire gauge, bobbin material, base plate material, WTC make a difference. And I know that how much wire you use makes a difference. But say you have all the same materials and you're going to wind two humbuckers with each bobbin having the same number of winds. But humcucker 1 is going to use wind pattern A and humbucker 2 is going to use wind pattern B. Would there be an audible difference? If so, what type of effect would it have?

I would love some in-the-industry opinions like Frank's and Zhang's. I'm not asking for any trade secrets, I am just curious as to what if any effect wind patterns have on tone.
    MEMBER OF THE SACRED ORDER OF THE STONECUTTERS

Re: How Much of an Effect Does Wind PATTERN Have on q Pickup?

The wind........geometry, TPL, the scatter effect, tension and the shape of the final coil (if there's more wire to one end or if there's a hump in the middle for example) collectively I'd say is the most important element in final tone. And this is where the art of the maker comes in. How to wind coils with the same wire so it adds clarity, or whatever it is that is special to that pickup/coil.

Be aware that this is THE secret that pickup makers will keep hold of. Don't expect any specifics.

Comment

Working...
    X