Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 pickups on J&D JD-LCB

Hi,
    I've got a J&D Luthiers LCB, which is a copy of the LP Black Beauty with 3 passive pickups. I don't know much about guitar hardware, but will be swapping out the pickups and having it done by a professional. Too expensive for me to stuff it up. I believe the 3 way switch activates each pickup separately and it's a mahogany body.

I'm leaning toward the SD SH-6 gold set for clean neck and dirty bridge metal tones, and keeping the color scheme of the axe - but what to do about the middle. I'd like to get a more classic rock sound/dirty Gibson tone from the middle.

How much can I mix and match for the middle? Does the middle also need to be passive? Are there any other factors that I need to consider?

Thanks!

Re: 3 pickups on J&D JD-LCB

I would use the SH6 set in the bridge and middle then put like a PGN in the neck. Better cleans and better classic rock sound out of the neck. The middle position is usable but it wont give you the classic dirty gibson tone that was made in another position.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
      The middle position is usable but it wont give you the classic dirty gibson tone that was made in another position.
      Thanks for the reply Edgecrusher.

So you're saying that I have to choose between quality metal or dirty Gibson tones in the bridge, and sacrifice one or the other in the middle?

Comment

Originally posted by dark41 View Post
        Thanks for the reply Edgecrusher.

So you're saying that I have to choose between quality metal or dirty Gibson tones in the bridge, and sacrifice one or the other in the middle?
        Not really the distortion will do great in the bridge. Its a bit more compressed than classic rock tones usually but will still do good. I would have no qualms with it in the bridge even the cleans are decent. The neck (for me atleast) is a bit trickier the DDN is a great pickup but its harder to get it to do the dirty gibson tones. For that work i would prefer more of a hot rodded PAF tone. In terms of getting the 3 pickups to balance you would want your loudest in the bridge and quietest in the neck. Going like Distortion bridge, Distiortion neck in the middle, then hot paf neck they will balance ok.
        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

You can use standard 3-way switch with each volume control for each pickup (so the middle pickup can sound on it's own or blend with any switch position) and a master tone control. Sorry, no suggestion for the pickups. I have J&D Les Paul too (H-H). It's inexpensive and solid guitar for mod platform.

Comment

Thanks again Edgecrusher. You rock!

Sorry for being so dense. I'm not familiar with many of these terms. Been playing for my own enjoyment since '87 off/on, but never modded a guitar before. I don't see where they list which pickups are louder or quieter. I'm very grateful for your help.

Hopefully I have it straight after doing more research on terminology:
            PGN = Pearly Gates Neck dirty or SH-PG1 Pearly Gates neck dirty, which is also a hot PAF or vintage humbucker, so use that in neck for classic rock tones?
            DDN = Duncan Distortion Neck or in this case the SH-6n, which I want in the middle for clean tones?
            And SH-6b dirty in bridge for metal tones?

Or am I still misunderstanding? (Fingers crossed, making it very difficult to practice)

Elepe thanks for the info. Would I need different hardware to convert a tone knob to volume, or does the shop just wire 1 tone knob to volume output? I've always kept all volume and tone knobs on full previously and adjusted tone with the amp or pedal, unless I lower the volume to clean it up (rare). No idea if that's wise or not. But the more diverse the sounds the better.

I'm pretty happy with the playability and love the looks and feel of the J&D - and the price was right. But the middle pickup died after a couple months, so a good time to upgrade them all. I've gone the opposite route of most people. My 1st axe was (new) '87 Charvel Model 6, then backwards to a Yamaha Pacifica (not bad either for the price), and now this J&D.
            Last edited by dark41; 06-11-2014, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dark41 View Post
              I've always kept all volume and tone knobs on full previously and adjusted tone with the amp or pedal, unless I lower the volume to clean it up (rare). No idea if that's wise or not. But the more diverse the sounds the better.
              Well, maybe 1 volume + 1 tone control for both bridge and neck pickup and 1 volume + 1 tone control for middle pickup is more suitable for your approach then. Hmm, I've been thinking about pickups. If you don't have to have gold cover look, how about PATB-2 bridge, PATB-3 middle and PATB-1 neck? PATB-2 is great for metal. PATB-1 has good clean. PATB-3 is intended for whammy - bolt on guitar to get that thick Gibson sound. I don't know how it will sound in the middle position though (I guess it will be less bright/warmer than in the bridge). Your guitar would look cool and unique

Comment

I'd like to keep the gold theme if possible, but having a hard time finding them all with it from the same shop to combine shipping (expensive to Australia). Leaning towards this for bridge and middle: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seymour-Dunc...:X:RTQ:US:1123

Be a couple weeks before I'm ready to buy, if it's not gone by then.

I like the idea of 1 universal tone control, and 3 separate volume controls - since I assume I could lower the volume on any pickup to get a clean or at least cleaner tone. Of course that means only using each pickup separately with the 3-way switch.

Pearly Gates dirty/distortion for the neck is hard to find though in gold. What is the difference between a neck and bridge pickup? Can I install a Pearly Gates bridge pickup in the neck?
                Last edited by dark41; 06-11-2014, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Found it for you all from banjomikez who is great to deal with.

Try these auctions http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seymour-Dunc...item5d45550b0c and http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seymour-Dunc...item20d6726fd6 and http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seymour-Dunc...item2c71ca1f2b

He ships to AU and you are gold... so to speak.

Comment

Oh and a side note about wiring. How i did mine was I used a normal gibson 3 way then swapped 1 of the pots for a push pull switch. So each pickup had its own volume control and just a master tone. The push pull was wired as a on off for the middle pickup. Like this I could get bridge, bridge plus middle, bridge plus neck, middle plus neck, neck and all 3 on tones. You can get a middle alone tone but you have to use a combined position and turn off the volume on one of the other 2 pickups. It works quite well actually.

Comment

That's great, and a bit cheaper than what I'd found. Will place order in a week or so.

The guy who will do the installation will be visiting to see what I've got and what I'm after. Will show him this for the pickups and wiring. You rock, thanks again!

Also got a kick out of your location. I'm an American lost in Australia - but don't want to be found. Love it here.

Comment

Working...
                      X