banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'59 SH-1 bridge with 250k tone and 250k volume?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '59 SH-1 bridge with 250k tone and 250k volume?

Does a SH-1 in the bridge work well with 250k volume and tone control? How does it compare with a JB with the same setup?

Re: '59 SH-1 bridge with 250k tone and 250k volume?

I use 250K's with my '59B's, because they're a bight, thin PU. Way too piercing with 500K's to my ears. Same goes for the JB.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

+1 to what Blueman said.

Some people really like the brightness of the 59 when used with 500K pots.

I don't.
      But it works well, and I prefer it with, an A2 magnet and/or 250K pots. (It also works very well with an A8 magnet).

The JB doesn't have many similarities with the 59, due to its high output and wind, except the piercing highs. The JB was actually designed to be used with 250K pots
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

250K or 300K is great for the 59B for sure.

Comment

I use it with an A8, 500K pots.

HTH,

Comment

The guys at my local guitar repair replaced my pots in my Epiphone Nighthawk with 250K in the volume and not sure what was stock in the tone but it's now 250K as well. I think they did it because before the middle pickup which is a single coil was way to bright. The neck pickup it installed is a the SM-1 and sounds fairly open sparkly. The '59 bridge sounds better than the stock for sure. This is my first non-single coil guitar so I'm still getting acquainted with humbuckers and mini-humbuckers.

Thanks for the input on the JB and 59 guys.

I love my current setup a lot so I've got a MIM Strat that I'm going to work on myself which will have a Little 59 in the neck and a SM-1B in the bridge, No-load 250K tone pot, 250K volume pot and a 3-way LP selector. Pickguard made by Warmoth. Hope it sounds similar to the Nighthawk but no worries. Just want stick with a bit of a 60's early 70's psych rock sound.

Comment

Working...
            X