Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan Nazgul - Metal Demo + Review

► More Guitar Videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/drawnacrol/videos

Hey guys! First post here and I thought some of you guys would find my demo/review useful.

I've tried a lot of 7 string pickups and this is my favourite metal pickup for lead and rhythms. The bass response is quick with a thick chunk behind palm mutes. The rest of the strings are thick and full right up to the high frets. It mainly shines when doing techy rhythm work but its still a very good pickup for soloing on the bridge.I haven't tried any of the older hi-output from Seymour Duncan but I really want to now. I'd really recommend it for Melodic death metal, Metalcore and Technical Death metal.

The guitars in my demo video are an Ibanez Rg1527(Left side) + Schecter Keith Merrow KM7(Right side) with a Nazgul/Sentient set in both. The RG1527 sounds bigger and brighter while the KM7 is more focused and tight with less bass.

I'm using an Axe-Fx II for guitar tone running through a neutral 5150 patch so everything is at noon with no EQ or tweaking. I did this so you can get a clear idea of how the Nazgul sounds out of the box. It can get MUCH tighter with some EQing since it has a big bottom end that you can shape to your liking. The Conquering Dystopia rhythm tone will give you a really good idea of how this pickup sounds in the KM7.

Pros:
    • The low B is tight and has a punchy chunk to palm mutes which a lot of sevens string pickups lack. I find when you compensate for a bassy 7th string the rest of the strings sound thin but the Nazgul has a big bottom end and thick midrange which means you don't get this problem.
    • Its very clear and doesn't pick up much unwanted palm/string noise.
    • The hi-end is smooth right up to the 24th fret without getting harsh but its still bright so it cuts through a mix.
    • It sounds good with very little tweaking and takes EQ boosts/cuts very well

Cons:
    • Its very metal orientated so the cleans aren't as good as other manufacturers, don't expect the versatility that other modern pickups have.
    • The bottom end can be a bit much with some bass heavy amps and cabs.
    • Requires routing out the pickup routes on Ibanez guitars so it isn't to close to the strings(this is more a flaw with Ibanez though)
    Last edited by Lorcan Ward; 06-11-2014, 01:48 PM.

Re: Seymour Duncan Nazgul - Metal Demo + Review

That sounded great! I sent Carvin a Nazgul 8 for my DC800 build that should be coming in soon. I couldn't make up my mind what pup to go with, but I think I'll be glad I went for that one.

Comment

Thanks! Awesome, I really want to try the 8 string version. I imagine it would work really well because of the tight bass and full mids. What woods did you go for?

Comment

I went with standard alder body, maple neck/ebony board but with a mahogany top. And it's only got the one pickup, one volume (push/pull coil split).

Comment

Both sound great. How do you like the KM7? 1-10?

Thanks for the video!

Comment

F-ing wow! Love the playing, love the song, love the editing. The harmonic squeals and 80's reminiscent solo really did it for me. It is actually a much warmer sounding pickup than I imagined it would be. I like your demo so much better than all the evil sounding "djun djun djun" of most "metal" pickup demos. Thanks!!!

Comment

So its the Nazgul or Black Winters....
              Black winter bridge, Nazgul neck... will that work?
              Last edited by VVladislav; 06-12-2014, 10:14 AM. Reason: A question that has not been asked...I dont think..
              Ibanez RG-120 Gloss Black
              Jackson JS22-Dinky DKA Satin Black

www.YouTube.com/VVladislavBand
              www.YouTube.com/VladsFortress

Comment

Originally posted by LazNovak View Post
                Both sound great. How do you like the KM7? 1-10?

Thanks for the video!
                Cheers dude! I really like the KM7. Its a big step up for Schecter and an all round great guitar. I can't really score it out of ten since there are a lot of different factors. The specs are definitely 10/10 since it has all hi-end hardware and stainless steel frets. Mine was one of the first batch so there a re a few finish flaws and rough spots in the sanding. The fretwork is brilliant so my action is 1mm high E - 1.4mm low B. The neck is very thin and comfy so its a breeze to play.

I'd fully recommend it if you live in the US but in the EU its quite pricey. I'd recommend a RAN Crusher FT over it since they are the same price.

Originally posted by toneseeker74 View Post
                F-ing wow! Love the playing, love the song, love the editing. The harmonic squeals and 80's reminiscent solo really did it for me. It is actually a much warmer sounding pickup than I imagined it would be. I like your demo so much better than all the evil sounding "djun djun djun" of most "metal" pickup demos. Thanks!!!
                Thanks so much dude! Pinch harmonics are effortless with it. I thought it would be harsh since its a hi-output ceramic but its still smooth in the highs. Its not the best pickup for soloing but it works pretty well. Yeah I don't like djenty or chuggy demos since you don't really get an idea of how it sounds across the board.

Originally posted by VVladislav View Post
                So its the Nazgul or Black Winters....
                Black winter bridge, Nazgul neck... will that work?
                Sorry? I'm using the Nazgul in the bridge. It wouldn't work very well in the neck since it would be too hi-output.

Here is a video of how it sounds in E standard tuning:

Comment

Originally posted by Lorcan Ward View Post

► More Guitar Videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/drawnacrol/videos

Pros:
                  • The low B is tight and has a punchy chunk to palm mutes which a lot of sevens string pickups lack. I find when you compensate for a bassy 7th string the rest of the strings sound thin but the Nazgul has a big bottom end and thick midrange which means you don't get this problem.
                  • Its very clear and doesn't pick up much unwanted palm/string noise.
                  • The hi-end is smooth right up to the 24th fret without getting harsh but its still bright so it cuts through a mix.
                  • It sounds good with very little tweaking and takes EQ boosts/cuts very well

Cons:
                  • Its very metal orientated so the cleans aren't as good as other manufacturers, don't expect the versatility that other modern pickups have.
                  • The bottom end can be a bit much with some bass heavy amps and cabs.
                  • Requires routing out the pickup routes on Ibanez guitars so it isn't to close to the strings(this is more a flaw with Ibanez though)
                  Those are all pros...in my book...
                  That KM-7 is in my sights. The specs are exactly what I'mlooking for. I've been checking that guitar out for a while.
                  Schecter is becoming an insanely good compant. I haven't played a bad Schecter yet, as long as they are not the cheapos.
                  I love my Nazgul...
                  Awesome playing!!

Comment

Working...
                  X