What metal pickup? Black Winter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What metal pickup? Black Winter?

Black Winter's are flat out awesome. You can't go wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarjunkie986 View Post
      Have you ever played a Black Winter? While it is as hot/hotter than the JB, the clean tones are superior to the JB IMO. I've tested both pickups extensively in my SL2H and the Black Winter is better.

OP wanted a single humbucker that does well tuned down. There's no pickup in SD's lineup better than the Black Winter that I've ever tried for that. I've used JB, Custom, Distortion, '59, Black Winter, Full Shred, and Blackouts.

..................except.............for.......... ...'T Y R A N N O T I T AN'............................................... ...............carnivorous Thrash Metal pickup with mooooooore teeth than the Black Winter and more roar
      DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Comment

i didnt say that was a Boss tube screamer....but there is one next to it.
        *and knowing that he's playing 7 string there is one more note on the tape which should be B...but doesnt matter since Andrew will be using 6 string.
        Last edited by jaybonitrane; 06-15-2014, 05:15 AM.
        Originally posted by longcat
        either way...cracker-y goodness.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Order Lord View Post
          ..................except.............for.......... ...'T Y R A N N O T I T AN'............................................... ...............carnivorous Thrash Metal pickup with mooooooore teeth than the Black Winter and more roar
          Send me one. Heard enough about your wishful Black Winter
          -IM

Comment

Don't those dudes use EMG 81's?

Comment

Similar question, different variables. I'm looking to replace the Sh-6 in my Ibanez Prestige tuned to B and I'm looking at the Black Winter or Nazgul. I tend to keep the Sh6 very low because when it's near the strings, it brings out the mids and fizzy highs; when it's lowered it's workable but sounds quite floppy and not tight (remember, Basswood with Locking tremolo).

I've asked about the Parallel Axis Distortion but I've heard that it can be hard to work with and is more for leads, and I don't care about leads.

So, Black Winter or Nazgul-6 for my Ibanez?

Comment

The PA Distortion works fine for rhythms tuned to B.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                @ArizonaVoters

Comment

The DD is kinda fizzy, but that's part of it's charm in some situations. Painkiller does the same kinda thing without that fizzy blur, but I still don't have a BW or Naz to compare (I really want both). That said, my understanding is that the BW is very clear with a higher resonant peak, so I can't help thinking it's gotta be similar to the PK. That's where I'd start.

Comment

A Black Winter will do just fine. I've had my set in 3 of my guitars so far and the only one they didn't work so well in was my Explorer, but that guitar is finicky about pickups anyway. But they sounded great in my JS Series Jackson King V (Alder body, bolt on Maple neck with a Rosewood board), and they sound great in my Les Paul too. And they kept up just fine with the various EMG and Duncan active pickups a former bandmade has in his guitars when I was still playing in a metal band.
                    Last edited by Gone_Shootin; 06-19-2014, 05:11 PM.
                    Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Working...
                    X