banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Humbucker that sounds most like a Strat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Humbucker that sounds most like a Strat?

I have a dimarzio humbucker from hell in the neck position of my musicman john petrucci. It really don't sound like a single coil at all, more like a low output, bright, scooped mid humbucker. It sounds amazing for high gain leads though , ultra clear and glassy.

Comment

The problem is they are screws, not Alnico rods. Still won't sound like a Strat. And with your set-up, only the E-string poles will fit the Strat slant template; the A/D/G/B will all be out of position.

Originally posted by 9unslin9er View Post
      Difficult but not impossible. Actually, it's quite an easy mod.
      Many people have experimented with pickups that have 2 rows of adjustable screws.
      Examples being Gibson Dirty Fingers, Dean Flatheads, DiMarzio Super Distortion, or even the Duncan Invader.

if you remove 6 of the 12 screws, you essentially make your humbucker into a single coil that has the added effect of hum cancellation.

For a slant setup, you simply remove the E,A, and D poles closest to the bridge.
      You remove the G,B, and e poles closest to the neck.

And if the output is too high, simply tap the pickup accordingly with 2 grounds.
      Generic signature line.

Comment

Originally posted by 9unslin9er View Post
        if you remove 6 of the 12 screws, you essentially make your humbucker into a single coil that has the added effect of hum cancellation.
        The national treasure that is Scott Grove demo'd this operation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g8qF9vC11s

Comment

^^^

Yes. The man is a little "touched." But he does good demos, if you have the patience.

I think we're ALL a little jealous of his collection and wealth.
          AccountKiller

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
            The problem is they are screws, not Alnico rods. Still won't sound like a Strat. And with your set-up, only the E-string poles will fit the Strat slant template; the A/D/G/B will all be out of position.
            IMO, the biggest reason a split humbucker doesn't sound like a single coils is because the two halves are weaker coils than a single Strat coil, which is why hotter humbuckers tend to sound better when split then low to moderate output humbuckers. Of course, there are other major differences, but I think low output coils are the primary cause of disappointing results.

I got some DiMarzio Billy Corgan rail pickups, very loud and dark in series, but amazingly full when split compared to the Little '59 split, which is much lower output, but has similar magnetic geometry otherwise.The roll a split mod remedies this issue rather well by not completely disabling the other coil. I just used a fixed resistance push/pull to avoid having to look for the sweet spot with a knob.

Comment

The biggest change I have found is the rod magnets. P90's with rod mags are like overwound strat pickups with a little more girth due to the amount of string they see.

Comment

The P-Rails sounds great in all three positions, hum, p-90 and single coil. That would be the best option IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
                  IMO, the biggest reason a split humbucker doesn't sound like a single coils is because the two halves are weaker coils than a single Strat coil, which is why hotter humbuckers tend to sound better when split then low to moderate output humbuckers. Of course, there are other major differences, but I think low output coils are the primary cause of disappointing results.
                  That's a big part of it, but even if you have a humbucker with each coil wound to 6k with 42 AWG (awfully hard to fit that much on a bucker bobbin), the lack of slant and steel pole/bar mag design instead of Alnico rods would still prevent it from sounding like a Strat on the split.
                  Generic signature line.

Comment

If you are seeking a humbucker that sounds like a Strat when splitting a coil, I'd say try one with a relatively high output - Seymour Duncan "Distortion", DiMarzio "Distortion". (You don't have to go "full tilt" with an "Invader" or an "X2N"). I don't know what you are using presently, but if they have relatively low output that could be your problem. Then again as others have said - you want a Strat sound? Get a Strat.

Comment

Y'know, Lace has some humbucker models that are made up of pairs of actual Strat pickups. That might be one way to go.

We've been making the only real noiseless pickups in for guitar, bass and more for over 40 years. No batteries required!
                      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I thought I remembered seeing another like that. Here it is:

I'm sure there must be others out there.
                        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
                        X