First impressions of Steve's Special:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First impressions of Steve's Special:

Ive been listening to a lot of dream theater, and i particularly like john's tone from the late 90's when he used these pickups in his guitars, which are the same wood and scale length as my M-100. The pickup does exactly what the description on the website says. It cuts the mids out, which are very prominent in this guitar, and it doesn't fizz up the ultra channel of the JSX. It's surprisingly moderate on the output scale, despite the huge ceramic magnet and 18k resistance. It also cleans up and splits VERY well.
    Regarding any post I've made before 2018, assume I've changed my mind by now.

This would be the 'Awake' tones? That's some good stuff. Have you tried it with any amps beside the JSX?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
    1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

Re: First impressions of Steve's Special:

The tone I'm going for is the "falling into infinity" album.

I'm using a JSX with a lower gain tube selection with eminence texas heats.
      Last edited by rumblebox; 06-14-2014, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Ah ok. Really different from Awake then. I think he was using the SS on Awake too? DT is a great band and JP gets good tones on every album.

Btw I tried out a JSX once and I really dug it. Great sounding amp.

Last edited by Farkus; 06-14-2014, 09:22 PM.

Comment

I wasn't big on his tone on some of the songs on the Train of Thought album. "As I Am" is a great song, but the guitar tone is a fuzzy mess of ****.

Comment

Train of Thought sounds heavy and I think that tone works for those songs but those aren't my picks for his best sounds.

Personally, and flame away if you need to, my favorite JP tones are SFAM and BCSL. I love the sounds on BCSL.

Comment

Yea both of those have great sounds.. I want to try out a crunch lab as well.

Comment

Originally posted by rumblebox View Post
                I wasn't big on his tone on some of the songs on the Train of Thought album. "As I Am" is a great song, but the guitar tone is a fuzzy mess of ****.
                I think by that point, he was on to the D-Sonic in the bridge, right?

Comment

I love the guitar tone on "Train of Thought".

Comment

His lead tone in Train of Thought is a good quintessential metal sound.
                    His rhythm tone? Ugh. Loose and muddy as hell.

Their latest album has the best overall tones IMO.
                    John is great but I don't like DT much. He should use a LP and join a different band.
                    Something a bit looser and more melodic, less progressive.
                    Maybe record with dUg Pinnick, who knows?
                    Last edited by Diego; 06-15-2014, 10:21 AM.
                    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Interesting, I have a super strat with mahogany body and neck through , with a Dimarzio Fred on bridge, virtual vintage blues in the middle and a paf joe for the neck, it gives a lot of versatility but the Fred is a bit to harsh, this is a guitar intended for this type of Satriani/Vai tone, actually I bought it from a guy who was sound engineer and base guitar for Steve Vai in the Fire Garden and Alien Love Secrets albuns, Sergio Buss.

The Fred is good for this things, you get harmonics easily, but out of this Vai/Satriani modern guitar approach, he's to aggressive IMO, I'm looking for something with a medium output, something more classic rock, even better if splits well. I'll take a look on youtube.

This is the guitar, rumor is that Vai played with it in the end of a show in 1997.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                      Last edited by varjao; 06-16-2014, 06:57 AM.

Comment

I really like the Fred for what it does. Yo may want to try a Mo Joe in the bridge, it is a bit more traditional sounding with more mids and less treble than the Fred.

Comment

Working...
                        X