Advice please - Humbuckers for a Mahogany Tele with Maple neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice please - Humbuckers for a Mahogany Tele with Maple neck

Im looking for advice I have a Mahogany Tele with a maple neck and rosewood board. That is inherently quite bright. I currently has Amber pickups 59 cross points that are their take on a PAF style pickup. I play rock and blues mostly, but like a warm clean tone. I have mostly played fairly low output pickups.
    Im looking for a pickup that is slightly darker with less highs to balance the brightness of the maple neck with mahogany.
    Any suggestions would be really helpful, Thanks

Re: Advice please - Humbuckers for a Mahogany Tele with Maple neck

welcome to the forum. do you like the neck pup?

ive never heard those pups but the specs I found are 7.7k a2 neck and 8.6k a5 bridge

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I do like the neck pickup. The bridge i found to be be quite bright. I have also found them both to be a little hotter than I'm used to
      Last edited by sonicpete; 06-17-2014, 01:50 PM.

Comment

A Custom Custom in the bridge would be warm and pretty clean for the higher output that it has.

For a more PAFish pup, the APH-2 should fit your bill.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

id keep the neck pup for now and just look at the bridge pup. I would probably start with a magnet swap. how big and tight a bottom end do you want? how smooth do you want the high end? alnico 2 tends to have a soft high end, singing mids but not a lot of bottom. alnico 4 would flatten out the eq of what you have now, little less highs and lows.

Comment

A smoother high end. Alnico 2 sounds like it would smooth the high end. I was looking at the Alnico pro 2 set

Comment

Originally posted by sonicpete View Post
              Im looking for advice I have a Mahogany Tele with a maple neck and rosewood board. That is inherently quite bright. I currently has Amber pickups 59 cross points that are their take on a PAF style pickup. I play rock and blues mostly, but like a warm clean tone. I have mostly played fairly low output pickups.
              Im looking for a pickup that is slightly darker with less highs to balance the brightness of the maple neck with mahogany.
              Any suggestions would be really helpful, Thanks
              Welcome to the Duncan Forums !

Warm and clear (i.e. uncompressed) = Duncan's A2P's !!!

Love mine in my SG.

Warmed that thin slab a of guitar right up !
              Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz View Post
                Welcome to the Duncan Forums !

Warm and clear (i.e. uncompressed) = Duncan's A2P's !!!

Love mine in my SG.

Warmed that thin slab a of guitar right up !
                Thanks for the advice. I really like Alnico 5 in strats but it's just sounds too bright in my tele. I have just ordered a a2p set

Comment

Originally posted by sonicpete View Post
                  Thanks for the advice. I really like Alnico 5 in strats but it's just sounds too bright in my tele.

I have just ordered a a2p set

GOOD MAN !
                  Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

The A2Ps will probably be great. Did you get the original A2P or the Slash model?

After you get them installed and have had a chance to play them, write again and report on what you think about them.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                    X