SD Grind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD Grind

im loaded on coffee so the overall mood is fiery greatness!

i gotta say the dimarzio super distortion is one of the only pickups ive played that doesnt like a overdrive boost in front of the amp, it does take it but were the real girth of the pickup shines is without it and at loud amp volumes. from that point its internal grindy but clear sound really makes this have a incredible power chord sound. its not bright, has the right amount of bass and mids.
    the lead tone crunches with a slight scream but not over the top. one of the best passive pickups ive use for rock/metal leads.
    the pickup currently resides in my 2004 schecter blackhawk which is basswood-rosewood-24.75 frets.
    id really like to be in a better guitar someday though it makes this guitar sound better than it should.

what woods/guitar types overall have you guys found that really takes this pickup and makes it even better?
    i want to hear a even better SD someday.
    Last edited by surface54; 06-22-2014, 10:29 AM. Reason: added dimarzio to the situation
    my youtube channel
    www.youtube.com/surfacexmusic
    my Industrial music for sale here
    http://surfacex.bandcamp.com/
    my soundcloud page
    https://soundcloud.com/surfacex
    my new soundcloud just for the gear demos i do
    https://soundcloud.com/surfacex-geardemos

Re: SD Grind

Originally posted by surface54 View Post
    i gotta say the super distortion is one of the only pickups ive played that doesnt like a overdrive boost in front
    An overdrive boost in front of the pickup? Yeah, that sounds dodgy.

Floyd loaded strats and thereabouts are my domain. Unsurprisingly, that's where I liked this pickup best so far.

Comment

sounds menacing in a strat or any fender type construction/woods. Meaty as hell. one of the most satisfying, most pleasing high gain sounds i've ever heard.

Comment

Are you talking about a Dimarzio Super Distortion?

Comment

I have a Seymour Duncan Super Distortion in a Warmoth strat - mahogany body with maple laminate top. The Super Distortion is in the bridge location and I have a Seymour Duncan P90 in the neck position. The combination is great. The Super Distortion pup is clear and powerful.

Comment

Originally posted by Diminished Triad View Post
            I have a Seymour Duncan Super Distortion in a Warmoth strat - mahogany body with maple laminate top. The Super Distortion is in the bridge location and I have a Seymour Duncan P90 in the neck position. The combination is great. The Super Distortion pup is clear and powerful.
            Wha? how? ummmm... errmmmm.... Do you have a Seymour Duncan Distortion or a Dimarzio Super Distortion?
            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
            you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

i thought there was only one super distortion the dimarzio
              my youtube channel
              my soundcloud page

Comment

^ It is.

In 25.5" scale(basswood body/maple necknboard) it gets much brighter than in a 25" scale(mahogany body & neck, maple veneer top, rosewood board) . That's been my experience with it, I don't like it close to the strings either, too harsh & can't use an overdrive with it at that point either. I keep mine somewhere at 4-5mm away from the strings when fretted at the last fret.
                Last edited by Hank-; 06-22-2014, 11:09 AM.

Comment

I'm a big fan of the Super Distortion. Great pickup - I currently have one in the bridge position in four of my super-strats running from alder to ash to basswood. I run them all the way up to the strings - with nary a gap - as close as they go without rubbing the strings. I play through high gain amps (but not super-high gain amps - think modded Marshall, Soldano crunch channel sound). Big fat and meaty sounds and smoother highs in comparison, but plenty of cut through punch through.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
                    ^ It is.

In 25.5" scale(basswood body/maple necknboard) it gets much brighter than in a 25" scale(mahogany body & neck, maple veneer top, rosewood board) . That's been my experience with it, I don't like it close to the strings either, too harsh & can't use an overdrive with it at that point either. I keep mine somewhere at 4-5mm away from the strings when fretted at the last fret.
                    do you think a brighter DSD is worse than a darker version, like i would say mine is, darker.
                    i guess tone is subjective, brighter to me would be better focus on the high end and wouldnt need as much amp treble.
                    i would like to hear it in a 25.5 scale
                    my youtube channel
                    my soundcloud page

Comment

do you think a brighter DSD is worse than a darker version, like i would say mine is, darker.
                      i guess tone is subjective, brighter to me would be better focus on the high end and wouldnt need as much amp treble.

The intro to The Number of The Beast
                      Originally posted by Myaccount876
                      Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

I've tried it in an all mahogany Les Paul. No maple cap. It sounded pretty good through a Blackstar, especially tuned to Eb. I also had one in an Epiphone LP, but I don't really remember how that sounded. I just know that it didn't sound as good as the sh-1 59 I had in there before that.

Comment

No it's not worse at all, it was just not what I was expecting, it came as a surprise.

Comment

im loaded on coffee so the overall mood is fiery greatness!

i gotta say the dimarzio super distortion is one of the only pickups ive played that doesnt like a overdrive boost in front of the amp, it does take it but were the real girth of the pickup shines is without it and at loud amp volumes. from that point its internal grindy but clear sound really makes this have a incredible power chord sound. its not bright, has the right amount of bass and mids.
                            the lead tone crunches with a slight scream but not over the top. one of the best passive pickups ive use for rock/metal leads.
                            the pickup currently resides in my 2004 schecter blackhawk which is basswood-rosewood-24.75 frets.
                            id really like to be in a better guitar someday though it makes this guitar sound better than it should.

what woods/guitar types overall have you guys found that really takes this pickup and makes it even better?
                            i want to hear a even better SD someday.
                            A strange variety if basswood (??? according to spec, cuz it LOOKS almost like pale alder kinda pink sheen, has grain and is fairly hard) in a Charvel Model 1A body really did wonders for the ceramic mags on a JB and two unknown and presumed crappy single coils - glass chime twang roar crunch chygga chugga, you name it and it can do it...never believed in basswood before, but it seems so very right for rude n raunchy ceramics.

The harmomics are insane and the axe practically taps out solos all by itself. Total screamer.
                            "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Working...
                            X