banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Update. re-read old posts+my own. So-Brightest sounding minibucker,strat 8dk or so?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update. re-read old posts+my own. So-Brightest sounding minibucker,strat 8dk or so?

Hi,
    Thanks, yes I know a million posts, just wanted a last updated opinion on the BRIGHTEST mini bucker for a neck strat paired w/my Jazz bridge. Love my CS 69 and 57/62, but need some volume and most s.coils wrapped above 7K start to sound to dark. So need to try 'bucker for strat.
    Thanks, patients is appreciated. last I heard it was l'il 59 vs. Screamon demon (sp?)
    Steve
    Last edited by SJ318; 06-22-2014, 04:04 PM.

Re: Update. re-read old posts+my own. So-Brightest sounding minibucker,strat 8dk or s

Are you talking an actual minihumbucker, or a humbucker for a singlecoil rout

Comment

Re: Update. re-read old posts+my own. So-Brightest sounding minibucker,strat 8dk or s

Take a single coil sized humbucker and wire it in parallel.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
      @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Yes, AlexR-
        I mean a humbucker for strat, like the L'il 59, etc. I was hoping for a new update from the forum members on what they think about the chimiest one. If there are any different choices or thoughts. Like I say, love my single coils but need more volume and any s.coil above 7K just gets too dark. Anything like coil splitting, Dominus, is beyond my bag of tricks. I am sure it is easy. I just don't know how and don't want to hassle with it now, but thanks for the post. Edit: this is a neck pup so so I care not for lows or low mids, just need big high end. Thanks again.
        Steve
        Last edited by SJ318; 06-22-2014, 05:49 PM. Reason: More clarity, hopefully.

Comment

Check out the Duckbucker or vintage rails

Comment

STK-S4n Classic Stack Plus for Strat
            Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
            Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

On a 4 conductor Duncan humbucker, there's black (hot), green and bare (ground), and red and white for coil splitting, and those are usually soldered together. What you do is wire the black and red together to hot and the green, bare, and white to ground. Measuring with a multimeter the resistance rating will be 1/4 what it normally would be. It makes the humbucker brighter and lowers the volume a little bit. Maybe try it with the JB Jr.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
              @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Evan, dominus, AlexR, DreX,
                Thank you very much. I will proceed with these suggestions. Thanks for the split tutorial. Sounds easier than I thought. I have an idle JazzN hanging around that ought to do the job in spectacular fashion. I did check the vintage rails and out of all of them on the page, that did sound the best. So I am off to find a sound clip of the STK-S4n CSP for Strat right now.
                Appreciate the help very much,
                Steve Buffington

Comment

Guess what?
                  I listened to both on the video page I found, and I searched my lost pile of pickups from the lost ark, and found a STK-S4M, and a SL59-1N! Can't believe it. They must have been left over from a few years ago, when I was trying the Everything Axe set, and some other beauties. Forgot all about them. Again, thanks for the referral. Off to the solder gun this week. Both pups sounded good on the video, so I think I'll start w/the STK-S4M. In the neck position. All my strats are H-S. Must try the coil tap in my SG as that is where I have a 57/62 Fender tucked inside a trem spaced Duncan nickel cover. Don't ask, yes I made it work and the poles are now sticking out of the screw holes. Had to chop the legs and do some other construction, but I have to point it out as no one notices it, they think it is just a Humbucker there. Proud of that one! But a coil tap with a jazzn will get me the tone and volume I need. I am sure of it. I am too old to get this excited.
                  Steve B.
                  Last edited by SJ318; 06-22-2014, 10:53 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

To dominus,
                    How do I coil tap my JazzN so the slug side is the one working and I will just leave it that way, don't need to use tapping and untapping apparatus just yet. Thank you for your help. I will radius the slugs and have them coming out of the screw holes so I can keep the cover on. Looks better that way. To me.
                    Maybe this can't be done (choosing which coil to go active and which to kill).
                    Steve

Comment

Working...
                    X