Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many of you do wiring UPgrades ?

Hi guys

Just trying to find out how many of you do a pot/cap/wiring upgrade to your stock guitars ?

And those who do do it . . . what do you do ?

Do you buy the individual components (cheery pick in other words), or do you get a kit/set with everything incl already ?

Thanks
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Re: How many of you do wiring UPgrades ?

You should know that I pretty much take everything out of stock guitars. My standard upgrade list is $533.27 in parts including pickups. I usually even remove and replace inserts especially if I am starting with a cheap guitar. Babicz Bridge , Graphtech Tusq XL nut,Planet Waves Trin lok tuners,CTS pots , switchcraft jack and switch , random set of pickups (most likely Fralins), wire caps and knobs. Usually after I finish a guitar I take it to my friend and world class Luthier Kenny Marshall for a final setup and eventually a stainless steel refret with some big fat and tall frets.Got a couple I spent 5 years and $1500 bucks on and I wouldn't sell them to you for $5k. BTW I am totally nuts!?
    Originally posted by Oinkus
    I had Big Flannel over here the other night , cleaned up his Tele and did some setup on it , took out the camera and set it down on the desk. I am easily distrac

Comment

I only do if they're not working right. They usually last for years. Typically I'll add a 250K or two for the bridge PU (replacing the 500K's) and often add-push-pulls.
      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I tend to buy these kits because it's cheaper than buying individual parts. If I'm doing something tricky, I'll buy individual parts to supplement.

Comment

I stopped buying guitars that require this type of surgery.

Comment

I've re-wired a few. Usually to add push-push pots, in the case of the Cort Source (semi-acoustic) to completely redo it, all pots, pickups, caps - the only thing I saved was the jack socket. Usually though I only swap out pickups and caps.
            Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

the electrons don't care what kind of wire they are going through. they care very little about the type of switch and pots as well.

If the electronics are malfunctioning or were wired with all the finesse and skill of a howler monkey at a feces flinging festival, then I will replace them. Otherwise, if it's functional, neat and gets the job done without any problems like the signal cutting out, then I don't mind it staying as is.

Comment

My guitars and basses are generally high enough quality to not worry about it except for a capacitor change that I might do because it's easy. I am not a big user of the in-guitar pots, that helps.

If I make a new Strat setup I usually don't rip apart some OEM pickguard, I wire up an entirely new pickguard, with pots and switches that I get by buying the Fender branded parts from Amazon. Quite reasonably priced.

Things get complicated if I want push-pulls and the like.

Comment

I replace everything, but more to get a fresh start, so that the end result looks like a clean original wiring job instead of a rewire, with bent up cap leads, old blobs of solder and excess flux, etc. I don't do it for tone reasons, and I couldn't care less about how it feels to spin the knobs as I don't do the volume swell thing on any sort of regular basis. Compared to the cost of the guitar itself, pots, caps, switches and wire are cheap enough that their cost is a non issue.

Comment

Pots with a nice taper and low resistance to being turned quickly are important to me.
                    Custom neck-thru strat
                    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                    1995 PRS CE24
                    D'avanzo #8
                    Breedlove Solo Concert
                    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

There's no such thing as a wiring upgrade. At least not for the itsy bitsy bits of wire inside a guitar control cavity. I fix things when they break though. I've had acceptable results using 12 gauge solid wire (leftover bits from wiring the house) all the way to 22 gauge stranded.
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                        There's no such thing as a wiring upgrade. At least not for the itsy bitsy bits of wire inside a guitar control cavity. I fix things when they break though. I've had acceptable results using 12 gauge solid wire (leftover bits from wiring the house) all the way to 22 gauge stranded.
                        Maybe not a practical upgrade to speak of, but I like using cloth wire for the aesthetic value, and it's actually nice being able to just pull the cloth back a bit and not have to strip any wires, so it's easier to lay down and fit it into it's place. Cloth wire also seems to hold it's shape better than most plastic insulated hook-up wire. It's a bit pricey, though.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                          I think that the OP meant electronics too, not just literally the wire in the guitar.
                          Custom neck-thru strat
                          1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                          1995 PRS CE24
                          D'avanzo #8
                          Breedlove Solo Concert
                          1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                          1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                          1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                          Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

22 gauge which alloy? Obviously you can't use random alloys. They might come from Asia and sound totally dead. How about organic wire?

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                              22 gauge which alloy? Obviously you can't use random alloys. They might come from Asia and sound totally dead. How about organic wire?
                              I prefer vegan free-range organic copper made of braided unicorn pubes.
                              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                              X