Rotary Phase/Series/Parallel Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotary Phase/Series/Parallel Switch

Ok, so I want to replace one of my tone controls on my two single coil guitar with a rotary switch that will give me:

Series/In Phase (Which I believe is standard guitar wiring?)
    Series/Out Of Phase
    Parallel/In Phase
    Parallel/Out Of Phase

(I was also considering getting a rotary switch with more than four positions and adding capacitors or something on the other positions like on the old fender esquire switch)

I don't suppose anyone could tell me if this is actually possible and if so, how would I have to wire it?

Re: Rotary Phase/Series/Parallel Switch

Sounds like you need a 4P4T rotary switch (you'll have to check if that fits in your guitar, that's a big switch)

To flip the phase, swap the positive/negative wires for only one of the two pickups. Here's an example diagram (it's showing humbuckers, but flipping the phase is the same - it's swapping the ground and positive wires on one pickup):

For two pickups, parallel wiring is normal. (For a single humbucker, both coils in series is normal - causes confusion sometimes.)

To put the pickups in series, the ground of one has to go into the positive of the other, chaining the two pickups together.

Almost all SD diagrams are about series/parallel on a humbucker pickup by itself. The only diagram I know of that shows putting two pickups in series is this (look carefully at the neck tone wiring)

Comment

Here's the rotary that you want, but it's pretty deep. You may need to do some routing in your control cavity.

If you want to go with a blade type switch, the Oak Grigsby will give you either series or parallel. You'd need to replace your vol or tone pot with a p/p to get phase.

Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

I'll probably have to try it and see, I'm sure I can make it fit some how without making too much mess

Comment

Good luck, hope it all works out the way you want it to.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
          X