Custom Shop Eclair Humbucker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Shop Eclair Humbucker

What is this actually? How come a pickup with more cut and clarity than JB uses Alnico 2? Does anyone here ever have the chance to try it out?
    Originally posted by GuitarDoc
    Don't take yourselves, or anything for that matter, too seriously. We're born, we live, then we die. All of us. Just the same.

Re: Custom Shop Eclair Humbucker

how? the magic of the wind!

there are a couple on here who've tried em out. I am not one of them though.

Comment

I've had it since before the CS website put them up for sale.

When I tried to discuss it before, someone came in right after me with wrong specs and fouled up the attempt to offer a transparent imagery of the Eclair set. As far as your question about the A2, it's all I'm now the pickup is made. MJ does things in the CS with an A2 that I've never heard from a production floor pickup with an A2. This goes for the Eclair, the Concept JB and a 'super' model that used to be associated with an 80s player. All very clear and lots of cut in the highs and punch in the lows.

That's really all I've got to say about it. The CS would be the place to check for something mor descriptive. Also, I think Scott Marceau at SD was going to try out a set at the end of last year. I don't know if he got around to it or not. You can also try to contact him.

Sent from my armored space station via iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

The wind is very important. Look at the A2pro and Pearly Gates. Both quite different tonally but both A2.

The mag tonal signature is great for saying x will have more of this than y, but as a descriptor of overall pickup tone it is about as useless as K rating is an indicator of output.

Comment

Hey guys! I was actually the first person to ever receive a set of Eclairs. It started up as a conversation between Seymour and I discussing the gift MJ got him for his birthday. He said that she got him an Eclair, so I stupidly called up MJ asking for a set of Eclair humbuckers! She laughed and told me that she made him the dessert for his birthday and not a pickup set haha. So that got MJ and I thinking... In terms of what makes these pickups sound amazing, well MJ knows! She knows how to make these sound "sweet" haha

There are actually two variations on the Eclair set.

Version I (my preference) is Neck 8k, Bridge 12k both with Alnico III magnets. This set fits well in my Gibson Challenger II and sounds absolutely fantastic. A very thick and "worn-in" tone with the neck being "sweet" and smooth, while the bridge is aggressive and smooth. This set will remain in this guitar till it is unplayable. I highly recommend this version if you want a hot-rodded version of the "antiquity" humbucker with a touch of smoothness. Thats the best way I can describe it. Articulate.

Version II (Seymour's set) is 7.4k on the neck (Alnico IV) and 15k on the bridge (Alnico II). This tone is tailored to Seymour's famous "JB/Jazz Concept Set" but has that added smoothness. I know that Seymour is currently using this set in his red "Tele-Gib" and loves it.

Both pickups are aged and are in Zebra/Reverse Zebra

Heres the article:
          Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

I hope that helps!!!

-Austin
          Last edited by Austy009; 06-29-2014, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Version I sounds delicious. The description comes across like the Jazz, only more buttery, and with a little more beef and fiber to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Letus View Post
              Version I sounds delicious. The description comes across like the Jazz, only more buttery, and with a little more beef and fiber to it.
              Fiber?

Click image for larger version

Name:	eat-your-fiber.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	5779829
              Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
                Fiber?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55319[/ATTACH]
                \m/

But you have a point. I might have said 'substance'.
                Last edited by Letus; 06-30-2014, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Beef? Fiber? Eclairs? That's it I'm making a sandwich.

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
                    Beef? Fiber? Eclairs? That's it I'm making a sandwich.
                    That is

Comment

Working...
                    X