Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good middle pickup?

Hey everyone,
    I've got an LP custom with 3 hums and I'm planning on getting some new pups for it. I've got some that I'm narrowing down for the bridge and neck, but I'm unsure of what to do for the middle. I'd like for the middle to be good for cleans so any ideas?
    Thanks.

Re: Good middle pickup?

My first choice would be an A5 P-90, like a Mean 90. If I had to choose a middle HB, I'd go with a bridge PAF or bridge medium output (in other words, not a neck PU). The middle location is a weak spot for string nodes/energy and needs all the output and warmth it can get.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
      My first choice would be an A5 P-90, like a Mean 90. If I had to choose a middle HB, I'd go with a bridge PAF or bridge medium output (in other words, not a neck PU). The middle location is a weak spot for string nodes/energy and needs all the output and warmth it can get.
      Huh. Never knew that. Thanks for the info and the input; at least have something to go off of now.

Comment

Hard to argue a P-90 in the middle. cool sound, different sound, cutting and fat. Try a Phat Cat.

I have a THEORY - never trued this….

You need a hot, but not too hot pup, and one with an eq that compliments the other pickups, and still world in that position;

PG neck
        Distortion neck in the middle
        Custom in the bridge.

The Distortion neck adds killer mids to the custom, and blends with the ceramic highs of the custom
        It adds tight bass to the pearly gates, and some serious power in that position, while the PG which smooths the distortion's top end.

It can be split for authentic single coil tones at 6k-ish, or clean up much better than the bridge version while at 12k hum bucking mode.

Again - all just theory….
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Depends on how it's wired. If it's standard Gibson where the middle PU is tied to the bridge on the mid switch position, then you need a weaker/neck pickup. If you've got it wired to use the middle PU by itself and possibly on it's own volume control, you have more latitude.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
            Depends on how it's wired. If it's standard Gibson where the middle PU is tied to the bridge on the mid switch position, then you need a weaker/neck pickup. If you've got it wired to use the middle PU by itself and possibly on it's own volume control, you have more latitude.
            It is a standard set up... probably should have mentioned that (whoops).

Comment

I should also mention that I am primarily a metal player, and I'm looking into higher output pickups (think to the likes of Black Winters). The middle position is shared between the bridge and middle pups (thanks to beaubrummels for reminding me to mention so). Also I usually use the middle position for cleans.

Thanks to all who read or reply - all input is appreciated.
              Last edited by Matza; 06-30-2014, 10:58 PM.

Comment

I like to use a bridge position in the middle slot. But if you're going for cleans, I'd suggest a neck/middle voicing. It will really depend on what your idea of 'clean' is and what you are using to get your clean tones.

Sent from my armored space station via iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Matza View Post
                  Also I usually use the middle position for cleans.

What do you consider an ideal clean sound?

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
                    What do you consider an ideal clean sound?
                    To try and put it into words, I like my cleans to be round and full sounding. I like them warm but also have enough brightness to round it out and make it more clear without over doing anything.
                    I hope this makes sense. It's a bit tough to describe what I hear in my head.

Comment

Full, round, a little bright and clear... is a Pearly Gates or a '59 out of the question? Seems cliche, I know, but these fit that description, IMO.

Comment

SH-16 59'/Custom Hybrid!

Comment

Originally posted by Matza View Post
                          Hey everyone,
                          I've got an LP custom with 3 hums and I'm planning on getting some new pups for it. I've got some that I'm narrowing down for the bridge and neck, but I'm unsure of what to do for the middle. I'd like for the middle to be good for cleans so any ideas?
                          Thanks.
                          I just did a 3 pickup LP, very untraditional:

Duncan Distortion and 2 StagMags take a look:

maybe a little more switching option then you want?

Comment

I suggest either a P-rails or Stag mag.
                            Originally posted by KBliss
                            WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                            Originally posted by trevorus
                            The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Working...
                            X