Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck HB for Tele

First post -hi, all.

I have a Nashville Tele, planning on putting a tapped 1/4 Pounder in the bridge position. Previous experience tells me that I'll usually use the tap for a more "Tele" sound, only using the full coil for solos or when I want to pretend it's a Les Paul.

I prefer a humbucker in the neck position, but also want to keep the middle strat pickup in this axe. My ideal neck HB is the '59, but I figure a mini HB will fit better.

So...which SD mini HB will 1) sound a lot like a '59 and/or 2) match the levels of my bridge "tapped" 1/4 Pounder and middle TexMex Strat?

Are there any P-90's I should consider also?
    Last edited by Rich_S; 01-30-2005, 09:10 PM.
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Re: Neck HB for Tele

Nobody has a mini HB in a Tele? I though that was fairly common....
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

Comment

Hi Rich, welcome to the forum!!

Yes, actually quite a few of us here prefer minihumbuckers in the neck position of our Telecasters. It seems that we all prefer something a little different than each other too. That's a good thing. We have members here who prefer the SM-1 for a more vintage Firebird tone. Some like it hot too. They use the SM-2 Custom model and some like it with more mids and clarity. I prefer the original Epiphone design like on the Les Paul deluxes and old Epiphone Sheratons. I actually own a Gibson minihumbucker. That's what's in my Tele. All of the produciton Duncans are great. I prefer the Antiquity II minihumbucker. It's the model styled after the LP Deluxe.

Here are a few pics of some forum members' Teles with minis in the neck.

-Butch Snyder
      butchsnyder.com

Never cut your nose off to spite your face. It never grows back...

Comment

yup, like butch said there is a bunch of use that like different combos, i like the sm1 but i havent tried the antiquity minis in a long time, never tried the lp dlx style, only the firebird one

Comment

I think the SM-3 would come closest to the 59 neck model, as it is a bit fuller than the other minis. But they all seem to sound really nice. Check out the soundclips at Vinetto guitars -- although they use DiMarzio minibuckers, it should give you a taste of what to expect. I think minis are the best neck match for a Tele lead pup with vintage output.

Comment

I'm liking that white Nashville-style. Is that yours, Butch? My guitar's going to end up a lot like that, except red with white pickguard.

My mind's made up, I'm going with the SM-1. I just love the "neck, dirty" sample here on Duncan's site.

I'm keeping the Tex-Mex Strat PU in the middle. Gives a decent, "vintage staggered" kinda sound to my ears, and the price is right.

Now, major indecision has reared its ugly head wrt the bridge PU. See my next post.
            Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
            Rich Stevens

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S
              I'm liking that white Nashville-style. Is that yours, Butch? My guitar's going to end up a lot like that, except red with white pickguard.

My mind's made up, I'm going with the SM-1. I just love the "neck, dirty" sample here on Duncan's site.

I'm keeping the Tex-Mex Strat PU in the middle. Gives a decent, "vintage staggered" kinda sound to my ears, and the price is right.

Now, major indecision has reared its ugly head wrt the bridge PU. See my next post.
              Hi Rich,

Yes, the white one was mine.... I had an offer for it that was too good to pass up. I basically have the same thing now, but my guitar is a Highway 1 Tele. I think you'll like the SM-1 and I also think leaving the Tex Mex Strat pickup in the midgle is a good idea. It has enough output and character to keep up with the neck pickup. I use a Duncan Vintage Stack in the bridge. I really like it and cannot use anything else because I have gotten used to having no hum...
              -Butch Snyder
              butchsnyder.com

Never cut your nose off to spite your face. It never grows back...

Comment

Then by all means, see my thread about bridge pickups.
                Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                Rich Stevens

Comment

Working...
                X