banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So uh, two quarter pounder strat coils to make a humbucker....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So uh, two quarter pounder strat coils to make a humbucker....

I'm thinking with an A8 mag for the bridge and an A2 for the neck, I'd bet this would be a pretty versatile HB set....

Re: So uh, two quarter pounder strat coils to make a humbucker....

Originally posted by LatsMcGee View Post
    I'm thinking with an A8 mag for the bridge and an A2 for the neck, I'd bet this would be a pretty versatile HB set....
    Wait... so your going to pound out the A5 rod magnets and put in bar mags under the coils? What are you going to use for pole pieces? I get the feeling 2 16k strat coils with an A8 would be pretty dark border lining on muted. The A5 rod mags are not overly bright at all in a quarter pounder many guys even run them with 500k pots cause of this. A8's and A2's tend to have even less highs... I guess try it and see...
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

This would be the ideal candidate to play songs for actual deaf people. They would be the ones to most benefit from unmitigated sludge with no definition.

Assuming you can get any rod mags in 1/4" and A2 and A8

Comment

Why not get a GFS Bigmouth instead? It has two coils with 1/4 poles and it sounds just like a Quarter Pounder. It has A5 magnets but you should be able to swap for A8.

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail.asp.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	5780151
        Last edited by idsnowdog; 07-23-2014, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
          Assuming you can get any rod mags in 1/4" and A2 and A8
          You can. I've got some 1/4" rods in A2, A3 and A5 and could probably get some A8's, but you're right, two QP's in series (or in parallel for that matter -- SEE: P100) would still be mud. Seems to be a surge of threads lately by folks thinking that massive increases in the amount of wire in a pickup automatically means a bigger badder sound. Past a certain point, more coffee grounds doesn't make better coffee, it just means you can stand a fork in it.
          Generic signature line.

Comment

I thought you might be one of the few who might have those about.

Comment

You ever check out the Rockfield Fatass?

Humbuckers with wider poles can certainly be done, but I think taking an already supercharged and thick sounding strat pickup, then adding the effect conjoining it with another has, and then using even more powerful and thick sounding magnet poles would be kind of overkill. It would basically be a stag mag but with quarterpounders.

If you are referring to a humbucker but with the traditional bar magnet but with the quarterpounders wider poles, yeah that could work depending on the winding, even with an A8. It would have to be made and redesigned from the ground up and not as simple as "put these together to make this".

I say if you wanna find out what it would kinda be like, then you can get a Fatass (I hear they are cheap) and swap an A8 magnet in there if the design lets you.
              Last edited by Falloffthebonetone; 07-24-2014, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
                You ever check out the Rockfield Fatass?

Humbuckers with wider poles can certainly be done, but I think taking an already supercharged and thick sounding strat pickup, then there is the effect conjoining it with another has, and then using even more powerful and thick sounding magnet poles would be kind of overkill. It would basically be a stag mag but with quarterpounders.

If you are referring to a humbucker but with the traditional bar magnet but with the quarterpounders wider poles, yeah that could work depending on the winding, even with an A8. It would have to be made and redesigned from the ground up and not as simple as "put these together to make this".

I say if you wanna find out what it would kinda be like, then you can get a Fatass (I hear they are cheap) and swap an A8 magnet in there if the design lets you.
                In the same vein there is the Rio Grande Muy Grande http://riograndepickups.com/scart/Pr...or+Humbuckings

Its 2 hot, over sized rod mag single coils tied together. I actually really really like them.
                "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

You guys have my wheels turning even more on this, I was thinking of going to the Custom Shop with this idea....

Comment

You guys have my wheels turning even more on this, I was thinking of going to the Custom Shop with this idea....
                    Why not approach the custom shop with a sound you want instead of saying "Hey heres some crazy specs that are wacky and different now take them and try to make something cool!"

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                      Why not approach the custom shop with a sound you want instead of saying "Hey heres some crazy specs that are wacky and different now take them and try to make something cool!"
                      I made a Custom Shop request that was spec based recently because I'm curious about how it will sound, and I like to take the gamble on whether it will sound like how I'd expect, or if it will even sound passable. I have enough pickups I love already, so I feel I can afford to take some chances at this point. I might try winding my own pickups some day, but I'm not there yet.

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
                        I made a Custom Shop request that was spec based recently because I'm curious about how it will sound, and I like to take the gamble on whether it will sound like how I'd expect, or if it will even sound passable. I have enough pickups I love already, so I feel I can afford to take some chances at this point. I might try winding my own pickups some day, but I'm not there yet.
                        If you decide to I have a winder that I built off of Jason Lollars plans I'll sell you.

I didnt say he couldnt do that I just dont understand why you would. In your case you say your just curious and willing to gamble on the outcome. Thats ok I can handle that. Its when a guy wants a weird spec and wants it to meet expectations that I have an issue. If your after a particular sound base your order on that. If you want to just play with specs have it but dont expect anything. Though I got the feeling that if anything was to sound too terrible MJ would refuse , she wouldnt want to put her name on something junk and possibly be judged on its performance.

Comment

Large pole humbuckers can certainly be done, I've made a couple. But just slapping two QP's together doesn't give you a QP that's twice as good. You just get a 25-30k mudbucker.
                          Generic signature line.

Comment

Stop urinating on my dreams.....I have this sound in my noggin and I think this will get me there....

Comment

Stop urinating on my dreams.....I have this sound in my noggin and I think this will get me there....
                              Artec makes a 1/4 polepiece humbucker that will give you the QP sound. From there you can swap the A5 magnet for a A8. They are marketed under the brands Guitarheads, Dragonfire, Calig and GFS. They all have the same specs.
                              Last edited by idsnowdog; 07-31-2014, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X