SG versus P-Rails...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SG versus P-Rails...

Is there any reason not to put a set of P-Rails in an SG?
    "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Re: SG versus P-Rails...

Only if you're afraid of you're guitar sounding super sweet!

Comment

the prails are very cool pups. even cooler if you get triple shots

Comment

Absolutely a great suggestion to put a pair of P-Rails in an SG with Triple Shot rings.

P-90s in an SG is a recipe made in Heaven. But P-Rails (with all of the options available from TS rings) is a recipe straight from God Himself.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Rails out, or rails in?
          "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

I have a set of P-Rails in a Les Paul copy and I think they could be described as a "Jack of All Trades, Master of Some". The P-90 side is excellent and would suit an SG just as well. You can tell that SD really meant for P-90 to come first, and everything else is kind of tacked on. The series humbucker mode sounds very nice too. I've heard it compared to a Dimarzio Norton. The rails side is supposed to be Strat-like, but this is where the P-Rails makes its compromise. Not that the rails sound bad, but they don't sound great either. Maybe they'd work better on a Fender style guitar? I don't care much for the parallel humbucker sound either. If you use switches instead of the Triple Shots, you might want to keep that in mind in terms of which options you want on tap.
            Pedal blog: http://manticorefx.wordpress.com/

Comment

I am rails out. I wanted the p90 closer to the bridge. Wait until you hear that beast in humbucking mode. Holy crap.

Comment

Rail closest to the bridge for me (on a Gibson 'the Paul'). Puts the P90 closer to where it would be on an LP Jr. Sounds way better IMHO.

Comment

^ +1. It also helps considerably to have an A8 mag next to the rail coil. But Rail coil toward bridge makes all the difference.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                  X