Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crackling sound when playing HELP!!!

Hey guys!

So I adjusted my pickup height on my Seymour Duncan Black Winters not much but enough for more tone. So then I noticed there was a crackling noise in it. So I readjusted the pickups and I still have the noise. Any idea what it could be? Its not the cord as I tried it with my Jackson to be sure, its not the amp or recording device either. Its the guitar I just don't know what is going on with it. Could it be the soldering? it played really good after the installation and I have not bumped it on anything since the install. Or could It be that i am not lowering the pickups enough?
    please help I am new with guitar mods I more of an ogre on guitars i play but dumbfounded on everything else...
    Ibanez RG-120 Gloss Black
    Jackson JS22-Dinky DKA Satin Black

www.YouTube.com/VVladislavBand
    www.YouTube.com/VladsFortress

Re: Crackling sound when playing HELP!!!

Sounds like a bad solder joint. I doubt it has anything to do with the pickup's height. If you open the control cavity and gently move some of the wiring around, you might be able to hear which one is making an iffy connection.
    Pedal blog: http://manticorefx.wordpress.com/

Comment

Could be bad solder joint. Also check that the bridge is grounded.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Sorry for the late response. So I checked all the soldering and the wires and re looked the wiring diagram. Everything was good. So I lowered the pickups down more to where the tops were leveled with the body. The crackling stopped after that. Could I be needing a new volume and or tone knob? I have had the guitar for a decade now. The pickups were my first and only upgrade to it. It's an ibanez RG-120

Comment

Crackling shouldn't have anything to do with pup height, unless there is a loose wire connection at the pup coil.

It certainly could be caused by a worn out pot. Pretty simple and cheap to replace the old pots and see if it corrects the problem.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

were you adjusting the pots when It was crackling? could it be the strings hitting the pup is what you were hearing?

Comment

No I was just strumming and heard the noise. I at first thought it was my headphones. So I tried it in the amp same thing. So I recorded it and it was loud a crackling noise. I may need a new pot like I said I bought the guitar 10 years ago. Next time I'm out I'll get a new pot for the tone and volume to cover all basis of the situation. An update will be posted once I have the new ones installed.

Comment

So just a newbie question what pots should I get? And should they be 500k or 250k? I have the SD black winters in an Ibanez RG-120 I love the tone it has now just need some pro advice

Comment

Ok so here is the update. There was noise from the pots. I replaced them both. Also found out that my input jack on the guitar needed to be cleaned. Bought a new cable to be sure. The crackling in the recording stopped. Bit I have noticed on both my guitars that when i hit the strings 1,2 &3 there is some static type noise. Can't hear it very much unless your listening for it. But the information provided was a big help. Thank you all for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would stick with 500k pots unless you are looking to warm it up tone wise.

Comment

I did get the 500ks because I found that was what was in there. But the guitar is doing much better.

Comment

Glad to hear it!

Comment

Thanks I was worried. After fixing her up I went and bought a schecter omen 6 diamond series got it at a steal 110$ from guitar center. When I got it they have me a random bag to put it in didn't think much of it. So I got home and found a brand new cable and a cloth to clean it with plus a fugly strap. I'd say my best purchase from there lol

Comment

Working...
                          X