Which way do Wilde pickups fit in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which way do Wilde pickups fit in?

My grandpa and I installed the pickups where if you were staring at the guitar like thisClick image for larger version

Name:	tmp_8705-IMG_20140727_162621162-1324659821.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	5834302
    You could read Made in USA if the lettering was on the outside. I'm using a custom metal mounting ring and I'm getting this: Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_8705-IMG_20140727_162657645-1523049788.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	5834303

Even with the included ring there is a slight angle...the pickup sits too close to the strings with the ring included with the pickup.

Re: Which way do Wilde pickups fit in?

That doesn't look terrible to me. I'd probably lower the pickup a tad if it were my guitar, though.
    Nope...

Comment

I put my L90 where the wires exit from the bottom of the pup would be closest to the hole going from the pup cavity to the control cavity. Really either direction won't matter as both coils are the same. Also to get you pup even with the strings maybe put some foam under the pup to keep it level?
      Originally posted by KBliss
      WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
      Originally posted by trevorus
      The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
        That doesn't look terrible to me. I'd probably lower the pickup a tad if it were my guitar, though.
        The picture doesn't do it justice. The angle of that pickup is probably 15-25 degrees.

Comment

I like the foam idea...I just thought I made a genuine mistake. I did the same as you...the hole the wires were jutting out of is closest to the wood hole in the guitar and the inside letters are right side up.

Comment

I have trimmed a few sets of their rings flat. An L90 will fit most common plastic pickup rings. (sometimes with a bit of trimming of the ring's corners.)

Comment

Originally posted by Gibson 1964 View Post
              I have trimmed a few sets of their rings flat. An L90 will fit most common plastic pickup rings. (sometimes with a bit of trimming of the ring's corners.)
              I stuck a piece of hard white foam over some soft black foam and now I have to force the metal neck ring down. The l-90 comes with some orange hard plastic tubes...if I used the Seymour Duncan springs it would probably be better.

Comment

Or filing the inside of the ring or even sanding it a little on the inside might help.

Comment

I typically do it the opposite way: wires exit pickup furthest from cavity hole. It shouldn't make much difference as they are balanced coils. That said, that metal ring will make a big difference per Bill. Bill's philosophy was to reduce/eliminate metal that would affect the magnetic field. That's why all his pickups are epoxied or have plastic baseplates rather than screwed to metal/brass baseplates.

Comment

Working...
                  X