250k/500k Strat vol pot versus turning down the tone knob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 250k/500k Strat vol pot versus turning down the tone knob

I'll word that more explicitly, " rolling down the tone pot with a 500k vol pot".

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
      " rolling down the tone with a 500k vol pot"
      I have no idea what that is supposed to me. Are you talking about "tone" as in "tone pot" or "tone the abstract concept" now?

Comment

Sorry.. the "tone pot" itself.

Comment

So you are talking about the tone pot, not the vol pot, the whole time?

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
            So you are talking about the tone pot, not the vol pot, the whole time?
            The scenario involves both, bot only the tone pot is dialed differently, so to restate the two test cases which I found to produce the same output amplitude for a given input amplitude at all tested frequencies:

case A) 250k vol pot turned up to 10, 250k tone pot with a .047 uF cap, turned up to 10

and

case B) 500k vol pot turned up to 10, 250k tone pot with a .047 uF, cap turned up to 8

Comment

Ah.

Allright, I think I know where the problem is. Unfortunately I have to run. Can you describe how you measure? What does your test pickup go into and what is the input impedance of that?

Also, you chart doesn't have the frequencies labeled on the x-axis? The whole thing is a bit weird looking since it doesn't show a resonance peak where there should be one.

Comment

Ah.

Allright, I think I know where the problem is. Unfortunately I have to run. Can you describe how you measure? What does your test pickup go into and what is the input impedance of that?

Also, you chart doesn't have the frequencies labeled on the x-axis? The whole thing is a bit weird looking since it doesn't show a resonance peak where there should be one.
                The test device is a CGR-101, the input impedance is 1M ohm. The test set up is a Lolar Blackface Neck, two pots of varying values (both were close in value to 250k or 500k, to within 5k) and .047 uF cap, connected with alligator clips to simulate a 1 vol/1 tone/1 pickup guitar circuit.

Comment

The x-axis is labeled with kHz values, it's just a bit blurry do to the layering of the test screen shots. I could have cleaned that up, but, oh well.

I'm not surprised to see a lack of peaks because we know that 250k pots attenuate high frequencies, and the peaks are high frequencies. The no-load tone pots show much less attenuation, and the peaks are still visible.

Comment

When I have time I'll rig a guitar so that I can record both circuits, now that I have a recording process worked out.

Comment

No, there should be a real resonance peak, the pickup is still a second order LPF and 250k isn't enough to kill the peak, otherwise a Strat would sound totally lifeless.

But I have no idea whether it should show up when inducing sound the way you do.

Comment

Working...
                      X