banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1 Humbucker w/ 1 Vol, 1 Varitone, 1 blend knob, and on/on coil tap switch wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 Humbucker w/ 1 Vol, 1 Varitone, 1 blend knob, and on/on coil tap switch wiring

Hi, I am new to the forum and need help with wiring...

I got an 8-string with 36 fanned fret guitar in the works
    and I want to cram the following inside the control cavity using a Lace X-bar Humbucker

1-Volume pot (500k)
    1-six position rotary switch Varitone
    1-tone knob that acts to blend the selected tone cap into and out of the signal
    1-on/on switch to go back and forth between humbucking and split coil (I'm thinking spdt switch?)

{I DO NOT want to have to use a push/pull pot on this build}

Here is a link to the varitone/blend knob wiring that I anticipate should work:

-Thanks in advance

Re: 1 Humbucker w/ 1 Vol, 1 Varitone, 1 blend knob, and on/on coil tap switch wiring

Sorry, to be clear I need a diagram that includes all the components listed...

Comment

Re: 1 Humbucker w/ 1 Vol, 1 Varitone, 1 blend knob, and on/on coil tap switch wiring

Welcome to the forum!

BTW - That's not an actual Varitone, it's only selecting the cap to use for the tone knob. But is a nice idea.

Someone might have done something similar and posted on the internet, but more than likely you'll need to combine a couple diagrams. Like just find a 1H 1V 1T w/split diagram and replace the tone section with that variable one you found.

For example, you could start with this one:

The wiring for the coil split switch is the exact same as the push pull. Then for the tone, the red line in the diagram you found, hook that to the volume knob where the tone connects in the Seymour Duncan diagram.

Comment

Thanks for the popping my cherry,
        ya, I didn't know what else to call the rotary switch...

I guess I'll have to do some digging.

Comment

Have you thought about one of the Tonestyler controls? I would think it would work much better than a Vari-tone, which can really be a tone sucker.

Bill
          When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

I've never even heard of tonestyler before...
            Just checked out the stellartone site, definitely looks like a space-saver too

Thanks for the tip man

Comment

Holy ****, wait a minute!
              Just went through the options on what type of pot and model of guitar it would be tailored for...and...
              MO-Fuggars want $125 for one of those things!

I think that was a huge draw for me concerning the 6-position DIY rotary tone-selector.
              The switch and the caps, maybe even some resistors, would cost me under $30

Comment

IMHO, several caps add nothing interesting to your tone. At the end your pickups will work better with some cap values. That's all.
                But, if you wanted to really affect the tone of such a pickup, please take a look to Bill Lawrence's q-filter (well, just and inductor).
                My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
                My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

tonal variety IS what I am going for
                  I want this to be an ALL-IN-ONE go-to guitar for practicing, and maybe gigging

I will definitely check it out

Comment

I think I found something...
                    After checking out the tonestyler and the Q-filter, I got to thinking about a 2-in-1 high AND low pass tone knob.
                    I did some searching and found the Fender TBX http://www.fender.com/guitar-bass-pa...ntiometer-kit/
                    It is basically two tone knobs on top of eachother, and it has a ton of simple little mods you can do to it, depending on what your shooting for.
                    I think this will give me the most options tonally...and its like $15
                    Thanks everyone, for adding cars to my train of thought, never would have stumbled upon this without ya!

Comment

Working...
                    X