Replicating magnets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replicating magnets.

I posted about selling my PAF. In the end I decided to keep it. However, I did call the CS and M.J. answered. She said around $180.00 to match my Pup. I asked if she could tell what the mag was and she said "I will get as close as possible."
    As she sounded very busy, and I feel so nervous when I speak to her, it's like I'm bothering a rock star, Jimi Hendrix, the Head of State, etc. although I know it is just me, as she a lovely human being and has helped graciously in the past, I didn't want to press her.
    So my question is this-is it possible these days in the CS to actually tell what magnet I have? A2 A3 A4 A5? I have heard this in the past as yes, no, maybe. Still yes, no, maybe?
    SJ

Re: Replicating magnets.

If MJ can nail the sound what does it matter the mag type? They can take some measurements and make a pretty good educated guess at what your mag is but without destructive type testing they cant be 100% sure.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by SJ318 View Post
      is it possible these days in the CS to actually tell what magnet I have? A2 A3 A4 A5? I have heard this in the past as yes, no, maybe. Still yes, no, maybe?
      SJ
      It only take a Gaussmeter reading and you'll be halfway there.

To be 100% sure it needs a destructive analysis with a mass spectrometer, which cost is a bit out of the reach for the average guitar enthusiast and it also means to sacrifice your magnet in name of science, of course.

However, I'm positive MJ will be able to get PRETTY DARNED CLOSE with materials and parts already available.

HTH,
      Last edited by LtKojak; 08-25-2014, 04:31 AM.

Comment

Visually there are clues to which kind of magnet is in your pickup because each looks slightly different. The most precise way would be to use a guassmeter to determine the magnets characteristics which would confirm a visual inspection. From there the magnet can be charged to match the specs of your original and MJ can tune the pickup when winding it to match as closely as possible. I believe you will be surprised by how close she gets.

Comment

The gaussmater is the closest way without being destructive......but old mags are not really like any of the new formulations so there is only so close you can get.

Comment

Originally posted by SJ318 View Post
            I posted about selling my PAF. In the end I decided to keep it. However, I did call the CS and M.J. answered. She said around $180.00 to match my Pup. I asked if she could tell what the mag was and she said "I will get as close as possible."
            As she sounded very busy, and I feel so nervous when I speak to her, it's like I'm bothering a rock star, Jimi Hendrix, the Head of State, etc. although I know it is just me, as she a lovely human being and has helped graciously in the past, I didn't want to press her.
            So my question is this-is it possible these days in the CS to actually tell what magnet I have? A2 A3 A4 A5? I have heard this in the past as yes, no, maybe. Still yes, no, maybe?
            SJ
            with all sincerity....how would anyone here know for certain what goes on behind the curtains at that CS?

if she were as busy as you suggest, she wouldn't have answered the phone. if she answers the phone, she's there to talk to you about getting a CS pickup.

you can also email. if it takes her a while to get back to you, do what I do and start buying pickups from other brands and try them out until she gets back to you.

Comment

OK,
              Thanks folks. Al points well taken. I have faith too. Thinking maybe best bet, as I'm broke, have this luthier send my PAF down to MJ, I keep the replicant, and exchange the difference in parts and services, such as a chambered basswood body from warmoth, the alder chambered is 3.11 lbs. or so, and as my spine keeps getting worse to where I may have to give up the dream of ever playing live again. But I still can play at home. I could have him do another snow white finish. He gets a break on the body as a pro and I did some ebay checking, a paf like mine (sorta) is going from $1500.00 give or take. I saw the paf set for 6 grand. That is just crazy unless you are a millionaire.
              Anyway, this guy guy wants my paf, I doubt I'm ever gonna use it. So my mind keeps changing as I get worse. Anyway, forgive my ramblings, in a lot of pain today. Although I normally read all the time on this forum that A2 mags are loose and flabby on the low end, that could be fixed by MJ if she feels an A2 mag with a special winding is what is needed to replicate my sound, that is MJ 101. yes?
              It would be the height of hubris and ignorance, and rudeness to even mention such a thing to MJ, would it not? Would any of you long timers, Kojack, Bludave Gib175, Darth, EdgeC, Itsabass, etc. ever say, "please reproduce my pickup, but use an A3 magnet." That is just wrong correct? A2's are used in P.Gates, Seth's, Antiquities, with no loose low end, correct? I mean these questions in a good way, so no need to beat me up.
              Well, thanks,
              SJ
              Last edited by SJ318; 08-25-2014, 06:21 PM. Reason: Need to show I am respectful, not a jerk.

Comment

Replicating magnets.

What?!

I don't think so. But first and foremost, tell her what guitar you have and what your goal is. Let it go from there. Don't confuse her pickups with what comes from the production floor. She has made me pups with A2 mags that scream well past some production floor A5 models.

Best thing to do is to just let her do what she does and let it rock while she lets it roll. As in, don't dictate specs to her....remember the fuglybucker incident?

Comment

Yes, thank you,
                  I will just let her rip. As it is I am not using it in anything right now. So all I need is for her to just replicate the pup, regardless of guitar. I could use it in any number of guitars. So I guess the Fuglybucker must have been a forum effort that nobody wanted? I'll search it out.
                  Thanks,
                  SJ

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
                    What?!

I don't think so. But first and foremost, tell her what guitar you have and what your goal is. Let it go from there. Don't confuse her pickups with what comes from the production floor. She has made me pups with A2 mags that scream well past some production floor A5 models.

Best thing to do is to just let her do what she does and let it rock while she lets it roll. As in, don't dictate specs to her....remember the fuglybucker incident?

What happened in that incident?
                    Originally posted by Myaccount876
                    Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

The last forum pickup became a vote on the specs rather than the sound.

Comment

I get it you want the light guitar but why not just spend 20 bucks at Ikea and get a folding chair and play sitting down? Or if you want to stand get one of those stands like you see acoustic guys use sometimes that hold your guitar up you know something like this

Click image for larger version

Name:	musical-instrument-d_8994.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	5780662
                        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Edgecrusher,
                          Part of the thrill of playing is obviously physical, and I love you for the suggestion, but there would just be no magic live if I was stuck in a chair or stock still in front of a set up like that. It is just not natural to play restricted. I tried it once and it just made it hard to express myself. When your finger is on the 13th fret on the B string in the key of A and you are about to push that sucker up to E from from C, you just gotta tilt your head back, get in a boxing stance, arch back and let it fly-man, you just got to move.
                          Sitting is actually as bad on a bum back as standing with a guitar. Sitting puts all the weight on the spine instead of spreading it out along a fully upright human. That is true for all back pt.s IIRC. Gotta spin to see the drummer, bend to dig in D to E bend on the G string same key. Stools are the worst. Got to hang back some, walk up center stage to solo, do a knee drop to fix a pedal. Turn around to yell at the drummer when one of us loses the "1". You can see me play in good shape: Look up "Eddie Gillan Red Roosters or Eddie Gillan playing "Stone cold Sober" on youtube. He's got a bunch but I am in two dark looking videos recorded live- I'm the guy on stage left w/the LP Custom ( blonde finish) jumping all over the place. Back was ok in those days. My playing is ok I guess, you can be the judge of that. I get a good couple of solo spots on the ends of those songs. The idea is you can see it is hard for me to stand still. Eddie looks like Jagger a little, I look like Dustin Hoffman with a Liza Minelli hair cut, a little.
                          Anyway, I am touched by you and everyone always giving me support. Don't mean to come off corny but there it is. Hope you can find that video. It was recorded around 2001 I think.
                          SJB
                          Last edited by SJ318; 08-26-2014, 03:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                            The last forum pickup became a vote on the specs rather than the sound.
                            Yep. I have ideas for some pups based on specs, but when I present them, I am prepared to be told the specs won't add up to what I want. I've only moved forward on that once, and the result is a custom JB with specs that would close the gobs of any JB hater out there.

Have another set of specs submitted right now. Waiting to hear back..

More than a thing else, I explain what I'm going for and let the expert take over from there. Once you build some rapport with a custom builder or a boutique shop, they will know your particular flavor and how to proceed.

Sent from my armored space station via iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X