banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the MOST versatile pickup Duncan makes?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What is the MOST versatile pickup Duncan makes?

I find the JB awesome for most musical styles. It rules in metal, alternative, prog, grunge, punk, straight up rock or hard rock, fantastic for thick blues rhythm, leads and fusion stuff. In fact the only place it seems out of place is probably country and I've certainly seen it done, especially when split, even though we ruled that out. Not to mention the amount of one pickup guitars that have JB's in them. If it wasn't very versatile, and you're only gonna choose one pickup, why would you choose something with such specialized interest? You wouldn't, you would choose something flexible. Occasionally I have seen the Invader in one pickup guitars too (though not as often stock as the JB) because it it capable of getting darker tones that the bridge pickup can be lacking that could come in handy in a guitar with only one pickup. The JB has potential in that it can be dark and warm when you want it to be or cutting and bright depending on what is around it, plus the JB is more dynamic than the Invader in this regard.

The JB is also on the hotter side, capable of pushing amps into overdrive, but not so powerful that it becomes difficult to clean up. Lets not forget how well the JB also works with different pot values like 250k, 300k, and 500k while most other pickups can fall short when using pots other than what the design intends them to use. As for the woods, the JB works in ash, alder, poplar, basswood and maple well does it not? It has in all I have tried them in. Apparently it doesn't behave well in mahogany to some but I have rarely found this the case seeing as it has worked for Alex Skolnick, Dave Mustaine for a while, Jerry Cantrell, Adam Jones, etc. Plus it sounds fine here in a les paul.

With all that being said (works great for many styles [except maybe country], works with many pot values, loud but capable of clean tones, works well with many woods [mahogany debatable]) isn't this a pretty wide series of applications for one humbucker pickup even ignoring it's reliable coil splitting abilities? Doesn't this justify it being rather versatile? I know I'm not alone on this either considering how many others have selected the JB as part of their 3. It's one of Duncan's most popular humbuckers and I don't attribute that solely to how long it has been around and marketing alone. It wouldn't be so popular if it couldn't be a workhorse. Sure marketing would bring people in but from then on the JB had to perform: it had to be good enough to stay in people's guitars, and be favored at that, while standing the test of time to earn the reputation it has. It is entirely reasonable to put a JB on a list like this.
    Last edited by Falloffthebonetone; 09-09-2014, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
      Aceman also said, which seems to be consistently ignored:

"This is the pickup that (assuming) you could play rock, blues, metal, jazz, country, or whatever on, in a Les Paul OR a strat style guitar."

That pretty much eliminates most of Duncan's HB line, as they tend to be rather specialized for limited genres. The Jazz is one of the few left standing.
      Nope just means you need to use your volume knob more... Just cause YOU cant cover a ton of territory with one pickup doenst mean others cant.
      "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
      you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Jazz, blackouts, 59
        Last edited by JOLLY; 09-05-2014, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
          Not the most versatile set, but being a Duncan forum the JB/Jazz would be absolutely appropriate for the 80 Tones project. It would be very interesting to see the variety of tones and styles we could all muster from the classic combo.
          And THAT is the reason for this thread….
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
            Jazz, blackouts, 59
            WHOAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

My main man Big J is onboard with the Blackouts!!!!!!!

Comment

For the record - Blackouts would be my number 4 choice, followed by the Distortion.

That said, I may have prejudiced my vote because they were Active….I have often spoke of the awesomeness of the Blackout for whatever except one style of Blues.

I may need to Go Blackout for #2.

Comment

Blueman...

I know you are a big fan of Seths, as am I, yet wondering why these didn't make your list...and the '59s did? Not trying to start anything...just curious.

Bill
                When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                  WHOAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

My main man Big J is onboard with the Blackouts!!!!!!!
                  Love 'em

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                    Blueman...

I know you are a big fan of Seths, as am I, yet wondering why these didn't make your list...and the '59s did?

Because this thread isn't about our favorite PU's, but about what we think are Duncan's most versatile. I love Seth's, but metal and hard rock players aren't thrilled with unpotted HB's. '59's and Jazz's will work in more genres than Seth's (even though I don't think they do blues and classic rock as well as Seth's do). And even though I don't care for them, PGN's are arguably more versatile than Seth's.

Seth's aren't the kind of PU you're likely to find in a Super Strat used for metal, just as JB's aren't a first choice for a jazz player with a hollow body. The idea to look past our little worlds and suggest PU's that can do a good job in a wide variety of genres and guitars. Most of us play a genre or two, and have PU's that tend to be specialized for that, which is why simply listing our favorites is pointless. Is your favorite PU a good choice, or a common choice, for half a dozen genres, and a wide variety of guitars? Odds are it's very good at one or two genres, and it's suitability for others falls off quickly outside of that.
                    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

So the pearly gates ended up being more of a personal recommendation than I should have done.

Bump the 59/custom to #2 and put the jazz neck in the #3 slot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                      I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

After reading all of the suggestions and comments I may have to change my suggestions...

1) P-Rails
                        2) Demon
                        3) PG

Done.
                        Originally Posted by IanBallard
                        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                          After reading all of the suggestions and comments I may have to change my suggestions...

1) P-Rails
                          2) Demon
                          3) PG

Done.

I don't recall the OP saying 'backsie's' are allowed.
                          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Uh the JB obviously...

Comment

Brobucker
                              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                              ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
                              Originally posted by Securb
                              The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Originally posted by punchlinechar View Post
                                Uh the JB obviously...

Uh, have you not read the first 7 pages?

Comment

Working...
                                X