banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the MOST versatile pickup Duncan makes?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What is the MOST versatile pickup Duncan makes?

1. Pickup
    2. Pickup
    3. Pickup
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

1. 59b (+59 n)
      2. Antiquity JB (+Ant Jazz n)
      3. Custom 5 (+PG n)

(9 pages? Really??)

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
        (9 pages? Really??)
        7 of those are Blueman arguing why people shouldn't have the opinions they do, and people arguing with him why he can't see that, and others doing everything except listing three freaking pickups.

Thank you for such a clear and concise response Frank.

Comment

1: The Cat
          2:sat on
          3: the mat

FIIK
          sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
          - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
            So while we may not have identified the most versatile Duncan pickups, we may have identified who we might want to exclude from the 'Around the World in 80 Tones' project.
            Yep

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
              Because this thread isn't about our favorite PU's, but about what we think are Duncan's most versatile.
              And for the record - you'll note that I am lovingly accepting whatever your response is, even though there is absolutely nothing about you that would vaguely suggest that there is anything diverse about your tonal preferences or playing (not that we have heard it).

All I want is your personal experience, beliefs, or even intarweb regurgitation about the three most flexible Duncan pups. You do not need to explain the task for me to anyone else. But thanks for the assistance Rick.

Comment

On that issue, I do have to side with blueman on the whole "vintage pickups couldn't cut it " thing. Pickups like the jb and super distortion were created to push amps harder into more overdrive and such, but amps have come a long way since then. Now more moderate or vintage output pickups are gaining sway because modern amps not only have more flexibility with gain and volume but also more of it on tap. With that, a pickup that can clean up well or stay pretty clear sounding under lots of gain becomes valuable. So you don't need to push the amp or mod it to get those kinds of tones anymore, you can just turn a few knobs, granted it won't be EXACTLY the same.
                Last edited by Falloffthebonetone; 09-09-2014, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
                  On that issue, I do side with blueman here actually. Pickups like the jb and super distortion were created to push amps harder into more overdrive and such, but amps have come a long way since then. Now more moderate or vintage output pickups are gaining sway because modern amps not only have more flexibility with gain and volume but also more of it on tap. With that, a pickup that can clean up well or stay pretty clear sounding under lots of gain becomes valuable. So you don't need to push the amp or mod it to get those kinds of tones anymore, you can just turn a few knobs, granted it won't be EXACTLY the same.
                  That's fine, but do you agree with the siege of this thread or could "I'd do this 1)X 2)Y 3)Z because I don't think the JB is as flexible as XYZ" [/comment] work?
                  Originally posted by Funkfingers
                  Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

Originally posted by jon the art guy View Post
                    That's fine, but do you agree with the siege of this thread or could "I'd do this 1)X 2)Y 3)Z because I don't think the JB is as flexible as XYZ" [/comment] work?
                    Post 136 on this thread is my stance on the JB.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                      7 of those are Blueman arguing why people shouldn't have the opinions they do, and people arguing with him why he can't see that, and others doing everything except listing three freaking pickups.

Thank you for such a clear and concise response Frank.
                      Maybe it's time to do the poll.

Comment

You do not need to explain the task for me to anyone else. But thanks for the assistance Rick.

Just trying to help, taking your original post at face value. You've been kind of scarce thru most of this. I was hoping you'd pop by more often.
                        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

1. Brobucker
                          2. 59/custom hybrid
                          3. 59

Comment

I am surprised brobucker has not shown up more often.

Comment

I am surprised brobucker has not shown up more often.
                              Brobucker's are a good candidate, and certainly one that should be in production. That's probably why most players aren't familiar with it, and hence the small numbers of suggestions.
                              "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                              "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

At the risk of being drawn into the debate, for versatility I think hot/overwound pafs are where it is at, hence the bro and 59/custom hybrid at 1 and 2. As much as I personally dislike the 59, I cant dispute the ground it has been used to cover.

My #1 guitar has dimarzios (Super D/Paf) for my 70/80s hard rock
                                My #2 guitar has duncan distortion/dimarzio paf for my 80/90s hard rock and metal
                                My #3 guitar has a bro/pgn for some paf goodness withouth being too weak compared to #1 and #2.
                                My #4 guitar has a tot tapped tele and prails for the times I want some tele or p90 vibe.

#3 is most versatile (except for #4 with its wiring chicanery) and the one I take to play covers with my brother in law.

Comment

Working...
                                X