Need help choosing a pickup for a PRS SE Custom 24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help choosing a pickup for a PRS SE Custom 24

I recently bought a JB to replace the stock bridge pickup in my PRS, and while the single notes are definitely better all my chords (especially power chords) sound weak. Almost muffled or something. The stock pickup actually sounded better. The SE HFS had more of a growl when playing heavier riffs and I was wondering which SD pickup would be similar (but better) to that.

I play through a kemper and basically need a huge sound because me and my bro are experimenting with a 2 piece, so I do a lot of power chord riffs while singing. I really like the tone of Chevelle, Seether, Breaking Benjamin and all of those type bands, and I dislike the scooped mid sound of metal bands if that helps.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Re: Need help choosing a pickup for a PRS SE Custom 24

Originally posted by Jr5241 View Post
    all my chords (especially power chords) sound weak. Almost muffled or something.
    are you sure it is wired up properly? color codes aren't the same as PRS pickups.

Comment

I've honestly got no idea. I did pay to have it put in though, and the guy that did it has been doing it for a long time so I would hope so

Comment

maybe some pics of the control cavity? or a description of which color wire from the SD is going to where?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4219 - Copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	5780754
          Hopefully that helps

Comment

I am not clear on your goals. are you wanting it to be a regular full on humbucker in series mode?

have you looked on the SD site under support and wiring diagrams? I believe there are a few things there that might address the PRS switches.

Comment

Why not dimarzio Super distortion
              Using Tapatalk

Comment

I played a PRS Custom 22 or 24 about 18 years ago in a pawnshop and have regretted not buying it since. Not sure what it was about that one, but I've never played another I bonded with like that one.

Comment

You're going to get better advice if you have the specs on the stock PU's, and give us some detail on what you like and don't like about them. Also, what woods is your guitar made of?
                  "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                  "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                  "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                    You're going to get better advice if you have the specs on the stock PU's, and give us some detail on what you like and don't like about them. Also, what woods is your guitar made of?
                    Not sure about his but the Custom 22 I played had a mahogany back and flamed maple cap on it.

Comment

Yeah its mahogany with a maple cap and a maple neck/rosewood fretboard. Not sure on the specs of the stock pickups, but they're a cheaper version of the HFS treble. I liked how they kinda growled when I would play power chords, but they were kind of muddy too which I disliked. The JB just sounds kinda gutless in comparison its hard to explain. I got the JB cause I heard a lot of good things about it, but its not working out

I would consider dimarzio but since I already have the JB I'd rather take advantage of the exchange policy to save some money if possible

Comment

Originally posted by Jr5241 View Post
                        Yeah its mahogany with a maple cap and a maple neck/rosewood fretboard. Not sure on the specs of the stock pickups, but they're a cheaper version of the HFS treble. I liked how they kinda growled when I would play power chords, but they were kind of muddy too which I disliked. The JB just sounds kinda gutless in comparison its hard to explain. I got the JB cause I heard a lot of good things about it, but its not working out

I would consider dimarzio but since I already have the JB I'd rather take advantage of the exchange policy to save some money if possible

I'm still not sold on it being a wiring issue. those weird PRS switches can be a chore and if the guy mixed up the colors codes, it could be what your hearing. is that just a regular push/pull pot for splitting the pickups? if so, it looks like the hot and ground are reversed.

Comment

Im not really good with the tech part of guitars, but the tone knob can be pulled out to make it sound like a single coil if thats what youre talking about

Comment

I rather like the HFS in the PRS Custom. It's tighter than a JB, IMO

Comment

Originally posted by TruSlice View Post
                              I rather like the HFS in the PRS Custom. It's tighter than a JB, IMO
                              Yeah I was possibly thinking about buying one of the actual HFS pickups if none of the SD's work out

Comment

Working...
                              X