Goodbye 59's I tried

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodbye 59's I tried

The ongoing adventures of Black Betty. I bought a used black Squier Custom Telecaster a few weeks ago and I was surprised to find someone had put a set of 59's in it as well as Sprague caps and CTS pots. I vowed to give the 59's a chance, but like my past experience I couldn't make them work. A 25 1/2 inch maple necked Telecaster may not be the best platform for these pickups. It would have to be something where you have enough midrange, but you're looking to tighten up the sound.

The 59's were too bright, too scooped and too hard sounding. They just didn't have the midrange warmth or bass roundness that I have come to expect from a PAF voiced pickup. A roughcast A5 gave more midrange warmth and rounded off the highs a little, but not enough for the bridge position. A roughcast A8 gave better bass response, more midrange and increased output but the treble was still too shrill.

Meanwhile a roughcast A3 in the neck didn't do enough to brighten or clarify that position. I also tried short fillister poles and hex heads but it was case of diminishing returns. With short hexes the 59 neck sounds hollow and dark with very little treble or midrange. With short fillisters the boomy bass response was reduced, but there still isn't enough clarity or sweetness from that position.

I have replaced the 59 bridge with a Rio Grande BBQ with a roughcast A5 and that has all the midrange and bass roundness and smoothness that the 59 lacked. I didn't bother to replace the 59 neck yet because I don't have a replacement for it in mind. If I do keep it I will probably replace the neck tone control with a push/pull and Q-filter.
    Last edited by idsnowdog; 09-05-2014, 07:29 PM.

Re: Goodbye 59's I tried

can you say a little more about the BBQ in the bridge?

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
      can you say a little more about the BBQ in the bridge?
      The BBQ is true to its description on the Rio Grande website. Beefy and full without sounding too high gain or too polished. I have heard people compare it to the JB and the Custom which is a decent comparison in terms of output, but tonally they are different. The Custom and JB are more aggressive while the BBQ is more mellow. The BBQ is closer to a Custom 8 than a JB.

With the BBQ you have a big, round muscular bass response, subdued midrange and rounded off highs. In comparison the JB has looser bass, more aggressive midrange and raspy treble response. The Custom has a slighty looser and bigger bass, thicker midrange, sizzling highs and higher output. Switching from the polished A5 to the roughcast unoriented A5 gave the BBQ a midrange complexity and heat it lacked.

I was either going to install the Custom 8 I have or the BBQ in this guitar after I figured out that the 59 with an A8 wasn't thick enough. I like the BBQ in this guitar because it's like a thick slab of slow smoked brisket with just a touch of roasted jalapeno in the sauce.
      Last edited by idsnowdog; 09-05-2014, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Try the same manufacturer and ask if they have a matching neck pickup for the BBQ

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
          Try the same manufacturer and ask if they have a matching neck pickup for the BBQ
          That's not a bad idea. However I really don't like neck pickups and I have a hard time finding one I'm satisfied with.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
            The BBQ is true to its description on the Rio Grande website. Beefy and full without sounding too high gain or too polished. I have heard people compare it to the JB and the Custom which is a decent comparison in terms of output, but tonally they are different. The Custom and JB are more aggressive while the BBQ is more mellow. The BBQ is closer to a Custom 8 than a JB.

With the BBQ you have a big, round muscular bass response, subdued midrange and rounded off highs. In comparison the JB has looser bass, more aggressive midrange and raspy treble response. The Custom has a slighty looser and bigger bass, thicker midrange, sizzling highs and higher output. Switching from the polished A5 to the roughcast unoriented A5 gave the BBQ a midrange complexity and heat it lacked.

I was either going to install the Custom 8 I have or the BBQ in this guitar after I figured out that the 59 with an A8 wasn't thick enough. I like the BBQ in this guitar because it's like a thick slab of slow smoked brisket with just a touch of roasted jalapeno in the sauce.
            thanks for the reply.

so many guys rave about the BBQ and I'd like to check one out, but everything I read is that it's bigger in the lows and softer in the highs and more laid back than what I'd want. all the other RG models I've read about don't come as close to the BBQ, which bums me out as I keep being given more and more reason to take my pickup money away from SD.

I agree with AlexR about calling RG and asking about a neck option based on your description. If not, I'd really like to recommend you to Wolfetone, based on the service I've gotten from him so far. BKP has some great sounding options, but the currency exchange has put them at more than I want to pay right now....unless you can find a dealer in the states that already has what you want in stock.

Comment

If they sound too dark or thick it's because they are too close to the strings. The BBQ doesn't seem to have as wide a sweet spot as other pickups in terms of height adjustment. However you can fix the balance of frequencies pretty well by adjusting the pickup height.

Comment

RioGrande also makes the genuine texas humbucker and the buffalo bucker they are 9k and 8k humbuckers respectively. The texas is a bit more ballsy and rude version of a paf. EQ wise they are similar to the bbq but with a bit less bass and a touch more highs. The buffalo bucker I havent had a chance to try yet but from their ad copy is their version of a 50's sounding PAF.

The texas rocks as a neck pickup with the bbq in the bridge.
                "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Try an Alnico II Pro in the neck. I think it's what a 59 actually should sound like.

Comment

Originally posted by eaeolian View Post
                    Try an Alnico II Pro in the neck. I think it's what a 59 actually should sound like.

a Jazz with an A2

Comment

Just for s&g you could try a RCA4 in the neck.

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                        The texas rocks as a neck pickup with the bbq in the bridge.
                        +1. Excellent pair. I like them in SG's, probably too warm for the average LP.
                        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                          +1. Excellent pair. I like them in SG's, probably too warm for the average LP.
                          Kinda funny you say that my LP standard is bright..even acoustically you strum it and its like ZZZIIIIINNNGGGGG... There the BBQ is just delightful... but your probably right in an average LP might be a bit warm... though some guys like that.
                          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                          you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Working...
                          X