banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did SD switch from Roughcast Mags to Smooth Mags? Cost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did SD switch from Roughcast Mags to Smooth Mags? Cost?

Ed Hunter's post toward the bottom of this page is very intriguing. If you guys at corporate are reading this, I think the market is begging for a roughcast option or even just "improving" the model to have them instead of the smooth ones :-)

Re: Why did SD switch from Roughcast Mags to Smooth Mags? Cost?

The pic there looks like sandcast. There is a difference between sandcast and roughcast. Typically sandcast is uneven and can often be oddly oversize. It is usually the first step in making a polished magnet, as the outer layer is ground off to final dimensions. Consistency would be the key here......the size would dictate to a degree the ease of assembly and perhaps more to the consistency of tone....a big part of a major winders business plan is consistency.
    Last edited by AlexR; 09-05-2014, 08:21 PM.

Comment

It happened looooong before I was there but Seymour has said it was for consistency. Every pickup would be the same. Rough cast/sand cast introduce variables. Sometimes they don't even fit right. But Seymour is so awesome that he recognizes the benefit of those kind of things, and that's why you get special magnets in the Antiquity HB's and P90's. (And of course the Custom Shop can make whatever with any magnet and gauss you want)

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
        It happened looooong before I was there but Seymour has said it was for consistency. Every pickup would be the same. Rough cast/sand cast introduce variables. Sometimes they don't even fit right. But Seymour is so awesome that he recognizes the benefit of those kind of things, and that's why you get special magnets in the Antiquity HB's and P90's. (And of course the Custom Shop can make whatever with any magnet and gauss you want)
        Fascinating. I was wondering about that. Consistency is a big selling point for sure. That said, the roughcast A5's in the WLH set really sound fantastic!!!
        MEMBER OF THE SACRED ORDER OF THE STONECUTTERS

Comment

Originally posted by ExplorersRock View Post
          Fascinating. I was wondering about that. Consistency is a big selling point for sure. That said, the roughcast A5's in the WLH set really sound fantastic!!!
          Well that's what I was thinking. They have them in production on at least 1 PAF style set... I wonder if new processes have allowed it to be consistent.

Comment

Working...
          X