Need some help with my first project!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help with my first project!

I recently found a crestwood stat style guitar and was thinking of rebuilding it. I'm a lefty.I have never even opened a guitar but i thought I might as well start now. I'd like to have a HS pickup configuration. I also want just 1 volume and 1 tone knob.I want a JB in the bridge and a SSL-1 in the neck. I have to order the pickguard off warmoth so I just have a few questions. What pots should i get? does a 3 way switch fit the slot of a 5? and do i need a different kind of 3 way for a lefty? Lastly.is it worth it for me to try this? I feel like i could do it, but I am not sure if i should risk it. Thanks
    Last edited by jackjoseph_; 09-06-2014, 11:03 AM.

Re: Need some help with my first project!

First of all; It is ALWAYS worth the effort to learn to do things yourself! The cost of guitars labor is stupid, the tasks fairly easy, and once you start down the Tone Road…well, that road rarely comes to end.

I have no idea what a Crestwood Strat is - I assume cheap. Go for it. Worst case: You END UP taking it to a tech. Or…you may never need one again.

You should get 500k pots. WHo cares about the brand (although CTS are nice…)

A Strat style 3 way should be the same size as a 5 way - just less tabs underneath. Lefty doesn't matter - it's how you place/wire it.

This is basically wiring a Single volume and tone, to a 3 way switch. Every Les Paul guy does it twice per swap! There are a ton of instructions, and everyone here will help. Go for it.!!!!!
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I just started a few years ago, building is addictive for sure and there is tons good info and helpful folks right here. Good luck.
      Jay Paul-Paz
      If F = Optimal number of guitars and X = Current number of guitars then F = X + 1

https://soundcloud.com/ironikaika/tracks

Comment

thanks guys! Ill post pics as i go!

Comment

You should be able to push the nut out of its slot and reverse it for left handed use. If not nuts are fairly cheap, just make sure you replace it with the same style, width and length. You will probably need to reposition the string trees. You can get H/S pickguards for not much money on ebay. You could probably get a used JB in the trading post. The quality of the pots and switches isn't critical and the wiring is fairly simple. Basically you would use Telecaster schematic except the bridge would be a humbucker. If you wanted to get fancy you could use a push/pull for the volume to do series/parallel or series/split.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	5780769

With Series/Split

Name:	Untitled1.jpg
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	5780770

With Series/Parallel

Name:	Untitled2.png
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	5780771
          Last edited by idsnowdog; 09-06-2014, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
            You should be able to push the nut out of its slot and reverse it for left handed use. If not nuts are fairly cheap, just make sure you replace it with the same style, width and length. You will probably need to reposition the string trees. You can get H/S pickguards for not much money on ebay. You could probably get a used JB in the trading post. The quality of the pots and switches isn't critical and the wiring is fairly simple. Basically you would use Telecaster schematic except the bridge would be a humbucker. If you wanted to get fancy you could use a push/pull for the volume to do series/parallel or series/split.
            He never stated that his guitar was right handed.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
            @ArizonaVoters

Comment

And there is the wiring diagram right there!

Bring the pics!!!!
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
              X