banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this possible on a HSS strat style guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this possible on a HSS strat style guitar?

I've got a Washburn guitar I'm looking to rewire..

It has a humbucker bridge, then 2 singles.. and 1 volume, 1 tone with push/pull for splitting the humbucker..

What I'm wondering is, is it possible to add another push/pull for like a series/parallel option as well as just the split?
    If so, is there a diagram around? I looked through the SD Diagrams, and I couldn't really find what I was looking for..
    Any and all help is appreciated

Also for a side note, it came stock with 500k pots, and a .022 uf cap... Would it be better to stay with 500k, or switch to 250k? I have enough Gibson style guitars, so I'm looking for kinda a happy medium between strat and gibson sound... Some quack, but not too much... But I'd like having various little sounds I could get with it.. (hence the extra push/pull)

The original wiring was awful, and the 5 way switch was cruddy sounding, so I changed it and the guitar lost what "quack" it had... lol

Re: Is this possible on a HSS strat style guitar?

I don't think a single push-pull could set three pickups in series because you've got to switch at least 6 wires at the same time to do that.

Switches don't have a sound, unless the connections are faulty, and then it's a matter of correcting the connections rather than the switch. So I'm perplexed at what might have seemed to sound bad due to the switch. As for losing the quack by just changing the switch, that doesn't sound possible unless some of the other components were rewired and something else got messed up along the way, like something that was previously out-of-phase (by design) is now in phase, or something like that.

Comment

Ok, let me do some thinking here, one push-pull could be used to take out of the coils and the thing in single coil mode, that sounds doable considering you can put the two leads of on of the coils into the two "common" connectors of the pot. The other push-pull should be wired to switch series/parallel but one of the coil leads come actually from the other pot. So pot 1 for series/parallel, pot 2 to take out one of the coils. There will be 4 possible combinations (1) Parallel with 2 coils (2) Parallel with 1 coil (3) Series with 2 coils (4) series with 1 coil. Combination 4 would actually be open circuit. Let me take some time and think on how to translate this into a wiring diagram if it is even possible.

On the other hand you know Seymour Duncan has those Triple Shot mounting rings, maybe that is easier than using two pots.
      Who took my guitar?

Comment

The stock washburn switch.. well frankly I haven't been able to find the same style as it.. none of the fender styles match it.. so I initially thought the same.. and have tried rewiring it.. nothing else was changed.. I know it sounds weird.. lol. That's actually why I'm planning to rewire it completely..

And I wish I could use the SD triple shots on this (I have them on my sg and love them).. but its a pickguard mounted pickup..

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
          There will be 4 possible combinations (1) Parallel with 2 coils (2) Parallel with 1 coil (3) Series with 2 coils (4) series with 1 coil.
          Well, no. You cannot have (2) or (4) since you can't have series or parallel with only one coil.

It would be possible to have the vol pot with p/p to accomplish the series/parallel...http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...matic=1h_1v_sp

and the tone with p/p to do the split (in the following diagram, imagine that this is the tone pot with the p/p)...http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...hum_1vol_split

But you need to wire it slightly different...leave the white wire where it is and connect the red wire to the other middle lug on the switch, then add a jumper wire to connect the bottom two lugs to ground.

When the vol p/p is set to series (p/p is down), the tone p/p could create the split when pulled up. But when the vol p/p is set to parallel (up), the tone p/p would act as a kill switch when in "split" (up) position.

This would give you 4 combinations...
          series
          parallel
          split
          kill
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Parallel with 1 coil would be single coil mode, i just need to do the diagram
            Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
              Parallel with 1 coil would be single coil mode, i just need to do the diagram
              And series with one coil would be single coil mode as well.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Thanks.. I'm ordering the rest of the parts needed tonight to completely rewire it..

I'm sure I'll run into snags, so I'll post if I need help.. lol

I'm going to try and incorporate those 2 diagrams together and see what I come up with.. Unless one of yall are better at combining them two into a diagram.. lol

Comment

You could add a series/parallel switch for the humbucker, but I don't know what would happen if you have both that switch and the coil splitting switch on at the same time. I guess that the split would just override the series/parallel.

You can put series/parallel/split on the same toggle switch, though. Is it a 3PDT that you need for that, or maybe an on-on-on DPDT? I forgot. But someone here will know, or you can do a Web search
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Yogi Berra was correct.
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Ok.. When I was preparing to order the parts, I noticed they also had a superswitch.. Would having the superswitch along with a push pull or two push pulls, allow me to do what I was initially talking about?

Sorry, I know a lot of questions.. lol

Comment

The superswitch has many options of combinations depending on the model and how its wired.

from your first post, if you use a DPDT switch then you'll get series/split/parallel of the bridge humbucker on that one alone. The push/pull could be used for other things

Comment

Working...
                      X