banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The best Les Paul wiring, using 4 push-pull pots.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The best Les Paul wiring, using 4 push-pull pots.

If you are looking for something to do with a turning thing I would put a LCR network like Bill Lawrence' Q-Filter.

If you are looking for things to do with 4 switches I'd go split/split/pickups-in-series/out-of-phase. There are few things better than subtracting half an out of phase neck pickup from a bridge pickup while they are in series.

Comment

I'm used to the old Les Paul regular tone control knobs already, so I don't think I change it.

What do you think about taking the Jimmy Page (Schecter's) wiring, but doing both pickups splitting in 1 DPDT switch.
      So by pulling, lets say, the bridge volume knob, I'm splitting both neck and bridge pickups.
      And if I also get rid of the 'pickups-in-series' option, the one that puts bridge and neck pickups in series together, which some people here found useless.
      I will get 2 free DPDT switches.
      is it possible to make them switch between parallel and series ?

let me clear this up.
      Push/pull controls:

Jimmy's way-
      Bridge Volume: splits bridge pickup
      Neck Volume: splits neck pickup
      Bridge Tone: puts bridge & neck pickups out of phase with each other
      Neck: Tone: puts bridge & neck pickups in series together

My way-
      Bridge Volume: splits bridge & neck pickups
      Neck Volume: puts bridge & neck pickups out of phase with each other
      Bridge Tone: bridge in parallel
      Neck: Tone: neck in parallel

Will it work ? or my guitar will expolde ?
      Last edited by Nuts; 09-13-2014, 10:27 PM.
      My YouTube channel

Comment

Originally posted by Nuts View Post
        I'm used to the old Les Paul regular tone control knobs already, so I don't think I change it.

What do you think about taking the Jimmy Page (Schecter's) wiring, but doing both pickups splitting in 1 DPDT switch.
        So by pulling, lets say, the bridge volume knob, I'm splitting both neck and bridge pickups.
        And if I also get rid of the 'pickups-in-series' option, the one that puts bridge and neck pickups in series together, which some people here found useless.

let me clear this up.
        Push/pull controls:

Jimmy's way-

My way-

Yes that is possible. And it will work. My only concern is that is a ton of work to get a minor variation of tone. You will not get one guitar to sound like every guitar. I do not think the settings you are looking for are going to be as drastic as you are hoping they will be. Once again what are you trying to get done?

Comment

let me clear this up.
          Push/pull controls:

Jimmy's way-

My way-

I just did the real Jimmy Page wiring in my SG, albeit with some mods to make it easier to use (namely I put the coil splits out on the pickguard rather than back on the pots.) In my experience, I did not get a significant variance in output, even with pickups in series or splitting to single coil. There was some slight shift in levels, but it was totally manageable. But it bought me a great variety of tones that I can use to overcome situations where I have to play through someone else's amp or in a venue through a board I'm not familiar with, etc. That's the only reason I go for all those additional tones: is to get around situations where I don't get to use my own rig and control the sound. Having the Page wiring allows me to still sound like myself in situations where it's not my rig.

Comment

You completely missed my point. In-series is useless alone but if you combine in-series (which darkens) with out-of-phase (which brightens) you get a usable thing. One that can sound great. Especially if you subtract only half a neck pickup. That can give you a roar for a distorted sound you cannot get otherwise, not even remotely.

Comment

Working...
            X