SSL-1 and SSL-5 combination on a Strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSL-1 and SSL-5 combination on a Strat

I have a MIM Strat and have so far replaced the neck pup with an SSL-1. I was wondering whether to put another SSL-1 in the middle and an SSL-5 in the neck. Has anyone tried this combination and perhaps could give some advice if this is a good combination?

Thanks.

Re: SSL-1 and SSL-5 combination on a Strat

Yes I have and it's a good combo. Worked well for me on a mahogany body with maple top. Sounds similar to the David Gilmour signature strat by Fender. The SSL-1's are a very clean vintage sound. The SSL-5 has noticeable warmth and increased output. Hope this helps!

Comment

Thanks for the advice, sounds like the type of tone I'm after, I'll go for it!

Cheers.

Comment

i have that combo in my strat. Its pretty damn good.

Dont know if this interests you much but....
        make sure you know whether your middle pickup is the regular ssl-1 or the RWRP ssl-1. If you buy an RWRP version then you will get the hum cancelling effect in positions 2 and 4 of your 5 way selector (which is pretty standard for strats since the 60s). If you just get a regular ssl-1 then you will lose the hum cancelling effect in those positions. I actually prefer non-cancelling because i feel the sound in positions 2 and 4 are a truer "blend" of the sound of two pickups, whereas when they are hum cancelling the sound seems to thin out a little. It all comes down to what you prefer. Its just a matter of making a decision about which way you want to go when you install the new pickups.
        Last edited by Chickenwings; 09-14-2014, 08:32 PM.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
          Me too, but i had a hard time dialing in a versatile amp set-up until i changed my wiring to this:
          Attached Files
          I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post

Dont know if this interests you much but....
            make sure you know whether your middle pickup is the regular ssl-1 or the RWRP ssl-1. If you buy an RWRP version then you will get the hum cancelling effect in positions 2 and 4 of your 5 way selector (which is pretty standard for strats since the 60s). If you just get a regular ssl-1 then you will lose the hum cancelling effect in those positions. I actually prefer non-cancelling because i feel the sound in positions 2 and 4 are a truer "blend" of the sound of two pickups, whereas when they are hum cancelling the sound seems to thin out a little. It all comes down to what you prefer. Its just a matter of making a decision about which way you want to go when you install the new pickups.
            Thanks for the info. I have shielded my strat and it has reduced the hum quite well. Therefore I will take your advice and get the regular SSL-1

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
              Me too, but i had a hard time dialing in a versatile amp set-up until i changed my wiring to this:
              Thanks for the wiring diagram, I'll see how it goes and may copy what you have done.

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
                thats pretty cool. I had a similar resistor setup when i built a hum/sing tele. it works well.
                "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                X