Gibson SG pickup change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson SG pickup change

Hi. I have a Gibson SG standard with a 498T and 490R. Just got a Catalinbread Sabbra Cadabra to run it through. Gibson pickups sounded okay just going through my Laney IRT60 but sound terrible through the pedal, muddy etc. Can you recommend some Seymour Duncans to replace?
    Thanks

Re: Gibson SG pickup change

It's going to help if we know what kind of music you're playing.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

A combination of a 59 in the neck and a custom 5 in the bridge are the de rigeur swap for SGs due to the mid-heavy body and hot scooped pickups make a balanced tone.
      Sounds like vintage metal.
      Originally posted by Funkfingers
      Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

I would replace the pedal.

Comment

Catalinbread Sabbra Cadabra?, i think you're into sabbath right?, well, other combo i feel good for sabbath sound is the pearly gates set (iommi even used p90's for the first records), but if you want something hotter than the pearls, Custom/Seth Lover (jon said custom 5/ '59 is good too) PATB-1b/APH-1, PATB-1b/PATB-1n
          Last edited by EDX; 09-15-2014, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
            It's going to help if we know what kind of music you're playing.
            Sorry. I just assumed that everyone would know what the Catalinbread Sabbra Cadabra pedal is. It's a pedal that has an early Black Sabbath sound.
            I realize now it was kind of knuckleheaded to think everyone would just know that. Again, sorry.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I am not going to get rid of the pedal. I just got it. I have also toyed with the idea of selling the SG. I will definitely look into the pickup recommendations made. Thanks again.

Comment

I would also suggest getting rid of the pedal. If you feel that the stompbox is the key to you getting the Black Sabbath sound you might want to note in the demo they use the Sabbra Cadabra with a treble booster. I have a SG with the same pickup configuration as yours. You should be able to knock the Iommi tone out of the park with that guitar. If you must change the pickups why not just put a set of Iommi's in it, if that is the groove you are looking for. Just keep in mind you are trying to capture the tone of an iconic guitarist. There are a lot of variables to consider outside of a stompbox. It is going to take a lot of tweaking to get there. Also consider you are trying to capture Iommi's studio tone. If you were standing right next to his amp I guarantee it would sound a lot different.

Good luck

Comment

i have a 59 and custom in my sg, but they both have alnico II magnets in them (making the bridge a custom custom). I have tried them with the original magnets and found that the A2 suits me best. However....reading what kind of sounds you are after, i reckon a stock 59 and either a stock custom or a custom 5 will get you where you want to be.
                  "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                  Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Are there internal controls on the Catalinbread???

The DLS I got sounded horrible and farty until I found there was an internal presence control. That made all the difference.

Comment

Sounds like you don't like the pedal, not the pickups.
                      Originally posted by LesStrat
                      Yogi Berra was correct.
                      Originally posted by JOLLY
                      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

how bout your amp settings? are running into a purely clean channel, or are you putting distortion on top of distortion? does the amp have a presence knob? that pedal sounds pretty bad ass in the demo I saw...definitely keep it...the Gibson iommi pickups are effin fantastic if you got the cash....other than that , and im gonna sound like a broken record on this, but, Black Winter! or Dimebucker....both have great treble and bass response, both a lil bright....crazy clear note definition with distortion and surprisingly good cleans \m/

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                          Sounds like you don't like the pedal, not the pickups.
                          This...

Send the pedal back
                          -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                          “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

I'd say for me, a weird choice that sounds like Sabbath to me would be SLUG. As an owner of a couple SLUGS, the first thing that struck me is that they sounded like Sabbath. Downside of this idea, is a treble booster after SLUG might lead to input clipping in a pedal as SLUG is super high output. A Rangemaster clone is usually a good idea to impart Sabbath flavor.

I know most people would spurn the idea of SLUG being a pickup for Sabbath, but I think it would do the trick nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibson 1964 View Post
                              A Rangemaster clone is usually a good idea to impart Sabbath flavor.
                              I use a Freq Boost BBE, they are discontinued but you can still find them on Ebay. It does the trick for May, Page, Clapton and Iommi.

Get the best deals for Bbe Freq Boost at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!

Comment

Working...
                              X