No announcement yet.

CC in the neck....series or parallel??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CC in the neck....series or parallel??

Anyone tried this?
    If so, how did you wire it?
    Since the pu lacks bass (3/7/7 tone chart) will it be a good choice for a neck pu?
    Thx.
    Hamer,Fender Kramer,Epiphone,Yamaha
    Full Shred,'78 EVH,Custom 5,Alnico Pro II's,Vintage Rails,STK-1,STK-2.

Re: CC in the neck....series or parallel??

Do both. I have not used a CC at all, but I have had neck humbuckers wired with a volume pot switch so that I can do both series and parallel.. It is a great thing, because the parallel setting gives a less warm sound to the pup. I have that set up right now with a 59/Jazz neck hybrid, and I love the versatility.

The CC is a different animal, but I'm guessing that it will yield similar benefits in terms of contrast.
    Last edited by Laughing Kookaburra; 09-18-2014, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Hamer used to ship some guitar models with a Custom in the neck and the Custom Custom in the bridge. I imagine that a CC would sound horrible in series in the neck, but if you're putting in in yourself, it's easy to try it both ways.
      -

Austin
      "Brobucker? Does it smell like Axe body spray, Smirnoff Ice, and is best suited for playing Nickleback covers?"

Comment

I would be more inclined to try a A2PN or a PGN in the neck position.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
          I would be more inclined to try a A2PN or a PGN in the neck position.
          +1. A number of players think CC's are too dark in the bridge slot. Putting them in the neck is going to sound like it's underwater, but hey, that may be what the OP's going for. The only way I can see that they'd be useable in the neck would be in parallel or coil cut.
          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Guitar is loaded with Floyd and is bright.
            Will try wired with on/on/on switch.
            Tried a A2P, not enuff output for me.
            If series is 14K, how much will parallel be??
            Hamer,Fender Kramer,Epiphone,Yamaha
            Full Shred,'78 EVH,Custom 5,Alnico Pro II's,Vintage Rails,STK-1,STK-2.

Comment

Originally posted by GregJr View Post
              Guitar is loaded with Floyd and is bright.
              Will try wired with on/on/on switch.
              Tried a A2P, not enuff output for me.
              If series is 14K, how much will parallel be??
              Roughly 3.5k I believe, (though resistance is not output) as parallel is half the resistance of one coil as opposed to 2x in series. The difference in output is generally not tremendous. Noticeable, yes, but not huge.

Comment

If an A2P didn't have enough output, then don't bother with a CC in parallel or coil split because both will be weaker and brighter than the A2P. I'd recommend a Distortion neck myself, but if you want to try a CC, then series is the only way to go.
                -
                Austin
                "Brobucker? Does it smell like Axe body spray, Smirnoff Ice, and is best suited for playing Nickleback covers?"

Comment

Maybe try a spin a split if you really want to experiment.

There was someone on the forum who I cant recall who swears by a custom in parallel in the neck.

Comment

Or just put an A5 into that AIIP and turn it into a Jazz. And wire it to a push/pull to change it from series to parallel.

Comment

Originally posted by austin View Post
                      If an A2P didn't have enough output, then don't bother with a CC in parallel or coil split because both will be weaker and brighter than the A2P.
                      Well, not necessarily. While the resistance is cut quite dramatically when in parallel, the output is not. Even in parallel it is a huge sound in the neck.

It's very simple to wire it up so you can switch back and forth between series and parallel so you can see for yourself if it is a sound that you like/are looking for.
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                        Well, not necessarily. While the resistance is cut quite dramatically when in parallel, the output is not. Even in parallel it is a huge sound in the neck.

It's very simple to wire it up so you can switch back and forth between series and parallel so you can see for yourself if it is a sound that you like/are looking for.
                        This. I switch the JAZZ between Parallel and Series. A good diff in tone, and there is a drop of output and more high end when in parallel. But the tone is still huge and not weak buy any means.

I think the CC would be a MUD zone in the neck, it is already a dark high output Humbucker. IMO any highout pup is going to be a bit dark in the neck ( in series of course). How much Output do you want really.
                        Last edited by Jocelyn; 09-19-2014, 10:48 AM.
                        sigpic
                        Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
                        JFG Flying V,
                        "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
                        John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

A fiend of mine has CC in the neck of his superstrat (with JB in the bridge). He had been looking for warm sounding neck pickup. After tried all Duncan neck pickups (he's a SD seller so he has almost all SD models, new and used), he seems happy with CC in the neck. I haven't heard how it sounds myself though. It might work for 24 fretter but for 22 fret guitar, I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by austin View Post
                            Hamer used to ship some guitar models with a Custom in the neck and the Custom Custom in the bridge. I imagine that a CC would sound horrible in series in the neck, but if you're putting in in yourself, it's easy to try it both ways.
                            -

Austin
                            For the OP, here is a demo of that guitar, the Hamer Monaco Elite, with a CC in the bridge and a custom in the neck. Sounds like they balance pretty well.

Joe has fun with a Hamer Monaco Elite Aztec Gold beauty through his favorite 1 x 12" combo (he owns one) Swart Atomic Space Tone and the awesome Fuchs Plush ...

Comment

Originally posted by elelpe View Post
                              A fiend of mine has CC in the neck of his superstrat (with JB in the bridge). He had been looking for warm sounding neck pickup. After tried all Duncan neck pickups (he's a SD seller so he has almost all SD models, new and used), he seems happy with CC in the neck. I haven't heard how it sounds myself though. It might work for 24 fretter but for 22 fret guitar, I doubt it.
                              Ahhh, there is the key..." a fiend of mine".
                              Last edited by GuitarDoc; 09-21-2014, 07:40 AM.
                              Originally Posted by IanBallard
                              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                              X