Need Recommendations for New Pickups!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Recommendations for New Pickups!

Hi guys, my first post here since I wanted some help in choosing new pickups.
    For a rundown to help, currently I am using a Black Ibanez RG350MDX (Maplewood Fretboard) with a Peavey Valveking.
    Body material: Basswood
    Neck joint: AANJ
    Bridge: Edge III tremolo
    Neck type: Wizard II
    Neck material: 3-Piece Maple
    Fingerboard: Maple
    Frets: 24 / Jumbo
    PU Config: HSH
    Neck PU:
    INF3 (Infinity 3)
    Mid PU:
    INFS3 (Infinity Single 3)
    Bridge PU:
    INF4 (Infinity 4)

The kind of tone and style that I'd like to get revolves around artists like Neil Zaza, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, and japanese rock bands. I don't play anything metal or super-duper high gain.

I was thinking about either investing in Seymour Duncans or DiMarzios. And would appreciate opinions on some of the pickups from them!
    Seymour Duncan: JB, SH-11 Custom-Custom, SH-5 Custom, and 59'
    DiMarzio: ToneZone, Air Norton, and PAF Pro

Thanks guys!

Re: Need Recommendations for New Pickups!

Do you use all the pickups? What is each pickup that you plan on replacing lacking?

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
    @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
      Do you use all the pickups? What is each pickup that you plan on replacing lacking?
      Hiya, I mainly use the neck, bridge, and the one in between the center and bridge. I'm looking to gain a more clear cut distortion sound with sustain and not too fuzzy for melodic kinds of solos. I'd prefer to have it noiseless. Is there anyway you can achieve a dynamic/flexible sound of like a powerful lead solo sounding guitar with but also be able to engage in good rhythm sounds? Sorry if this isn't specific enough!
      Last edited by TokyoRavens; 09-18-2014, 07:05 PM.

Comment

I'd suggest a JB in the bridge, Jazz in the neck and maybe a Quaterpound single in the middle.

Comment

I was just practicing and surprisingly the p-rails bridge in series is great for cliffs of Dover.

For clear lead sound and good rhythm why not the alt-8? That to me seems like the ideal pickup for those compressed boosted sounds coupled with clear percussive rhythm sounds.

JB was designed for what you're looking for too.

Can't comment on the dimarzio selection because I haven't played any of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Originally posted by ImmortalSix
          I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Another vote for the jb/jazz set. I love it.

Comment

The only DiMarzios I've personally tried were the Joe Satriani set. My bro-in-law has them in his RG and they sound great - very articulate even with higher gain settings. If you are leaning more towards Duncans, maybe a Screamin' Demon in the bridge. I haven't tried it myself, but I am considering to put one in one of guitars. From what I've heard through demos, they sound pretty good and can cover a lot of bases.

Comment

I'd go with '59 and Jazz with a Antiquity Texas Hot in the middle.

If not the '59 then a Wilde Pickups L-500L

Comment

CC in the bridge and PG in the neck. Both split well. You can throw APS2 in the middle.

Comment

Working...
                  X