wiring help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiring help needed

I'm so confused by all of these friggin wires.

Im putting in 3 humbuckers (2 of them singlecoil-sized) with 1 vol, 1tone, and a 5-way enclosed switch.

how can i make it so positions 1, 3, and 5 select the neck, mid, and bridge pickups respectively and the 2 and 4 positions combine the neck/mid and the mid/bridge? thank you in advance for your help!
    "From one thing, know ten thousand things." - samurai proverb

OLP MM4 >> CC/b,HotRails/m,Lil'59'/n

Re: wiring help needed

welcome to the board

it isnt as hard as it looks ... in fact, it is easier than many setups because you arent doing coil tapping, series/parallel, or phase reversal ...

exactly what switch are you using? ... are you free to get a different one if need be?

assuming all the pups are SD pups ...

1) for each pup, you need to solder the red and white wires together, then wrap the exposed ends with electrical tape

2) each pup's bare wire goes to 'ground', as do each pup's green wires

3) the black wires from each pup go to the respective lugs on the switch

then the 'output' of the switch heads off to the volume and tone controls as usual

check the schematics area under 'support' on the home page for some ideas

good luck
    t4d
    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

thank you so much! I can't really get another switch. I am but a poor high-school student who is taking a break from homework trying to rewire his knock-off OLP mm4 with some SD's. I'm putting a JB, a HotRails, and a Lil'59 in. Hopefully they will sufficiently rock.

Comment

they will slay - dont worry about it :-)

can you put the 'new' wires where the 'old' wires went?

good luck
        t4d
        gear list in profile

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Sounds like you want this diagram:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website...l_1tone_5w.htm

. . . and welcome to the forum.

Comment

hi artie, yeah, i thought of linking that pic for him, but didnt want to confuse him with the wire colour differences between true singles coils and the mini hums

cheers
            t4d
            gear list in profile

Comment

Thank you both! The stock set-up was whack... the lead colors were all different and I wasnt about to bust out a meter and check to see where they went. You guys are serious life-savers.

Comment

no prob, young gun ... let us know how it comes out

cheers
                t4d
                gear list in profile

Comment

I couldnt get online last night but I wanted to thank you for all your help and tell you it sounds AWESOME! i wired the pickup selector backwards... but im not going back in just for that. ill get used to it until I decide I want to mess with something else.

Comment

glad to hear it, little bro ... rock on!

cheers
                    t4d
                    gear list in profile

Comment

Working...
                    X