banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help to make a wiring diagram and research doesn't work.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help to make a wiring diagram and research doesn't work.

So I don't know if it is much to ask for but this is the configuration I'm trying to go for.
    It's a two humbucker configuration.

I want a full bridge, then a coil split bridge with the outer coil.
    Then the next position will be the full bridge with the outer neck coil. Then coil split into the inner bridge coil with the outer neck coil.
    Middle position will be both neck and bridge full. Split will be the outer coils of both pickups.
    Next position is full neck with the outer bridge coil. Split is inner neck coil with outer bridge coil. Then last position is full neck. Coil split is outer neck coil.
    A series and parallel switch would make this 20 times better! If not, I want the dual split coil positions to be parallel.
    So... Will it work and what will I need? I figure I start with the configuration first And get the parts later.

Re: Need help to make a wiring diagram and research doesn't work.

Will it work?, meaning can it be wired to do what you want? Certainly.
    Will it work?, meaning will it be practical/usable/functional? Probably not.
    Splitting to an outer coil in some switch positions and an inner coil in other positions will be very complex to wire, but doubtful whether you will notice any tonal differences especially in a gig situation. You probably wouldn't remember which switches to put in which positions to get the specific pup combinations that you want.

It's fun to theorize about these things, but totally impractical and, really, a waste of time.

But, welcome to the forum anyway.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Get a set of triple shots, 3 way switch, add a push/pull phase switch and you get all that plus some. Also, way easier to wire.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
        Will it work?, meaning can it be wired to do what you want? Certainly.
        Will it work?, meaning will it be practical/usable/functional? Probably not.
        Splitting to an outer coil in some switch positions and an inner coil in other positions will be very complex to wire, but doubtful whether you will notice any tonal differences especially in a gig situation. You probably wouldn't remember which switches to put in which positions to get the specific pup combinations that you want.

It's fun to theorize about these things, but totally impractical and, really, a waste of time.

But, welcome to the forum anyway.
        Thanks for the welcoming! But the tonal variations is more for studio applications. I really love the buzzy kind of sounds from parallel configurations for cleans. I tend to play some weird clean things so it would be nice to hear "not regular clean sounds" on songs and be able to vary it from song to song. I don't want to rely too heavily on my amplifiers/effects to get an interesting. I'm lazy as it is when it comes to creating a good tone so I'd want to be able have multiple sounds with the ease of a few switches.
        I had a HSH configuration on my old guitar and I fell in love with the tonal variations with a simple coil split and 5 way super switch. I was very sad that I had to let that guitar go but I'm happy with the guitar I have right now. It's a dean RC7x Lazer currently fitted with active emgs. They're not bad pickups, it's just not what I'm looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibson 1964 View Post
          Get a set of triple shots, 3 way switch, add a push/pull phase switch and you get all that plus some. Also, way easier to wire.

I had looked at the triple shot but couldn't help notice there being a 7 string variation. So I don't know if that'll work. I did however see some guy on YouTube wire each pickup with it's own 3 way toggle switch to change between series, parallel and single coil and another to keep the bridge engaged at all times. His configuration uses only the inner coils, if I had to choose I'd rather only outer coils. Also, he doesn't go into detail on what settings are achieved from the 5 way switch. So I'm hesitant of going that route cause at least if I fully understand the configuration I used to set up the guitar, then I should be able to remember what each knob and position does and be able to recall settings more accurately

Comment

Using a regular (Gibson type) 3 way toggle on each pup will not allow you to get series, only each coil separately and parallel ...unless you're talking about a DPDT on/on/on switch.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
              Using a regular (Gibson type) 3 way toggle on each pup will not allow you to get series, only each coil separately and parallel ...unless you're talking about a DPDT on/on/on switch.
              Yeah it's a 3 way on/on/on.

Comment

If I am getting you (which costed me a while), what do you want is to have two different modes, for each position, like:

1. N-HB || N-OC
                2. N-HB + B-OC || N-IC + B-OC
                3. N-HB + B-HB || N-OC + B-OC
                4. B-HB + N-OC || N-OC + B-IC
                5. B-HB || B-OC

So, what you really need is some toggle switch that changes from "normal" to "alternate" mode.
                Without going to design (and this seems a tricky one), it smells to me that you will need at least a 5-way super-switch and, some toggle on/on switch (still not clear if DPDT, 3PDT or 4PDT).

Is that what you are after?.
                My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
                My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

Working...
                X