IM1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IM1?

Hi, does anybody know what this pickup is and or tries to emulate? Thanks in advance

Re: IM1?

It's a custom shop pickup
    Im1
    I-m-1
    I'm the One
    "Sounds like a monster shocked by lightning"
    Frankenstein
    "developed for one of the most iconic instrument reproductions of all time and to exactly replicate its complex and harmonically explosive tone."
    It's a remake of Eddie Van Halen's custom Duncan pickup in the Frankenstein guitar.
    I heard the closest pickup to it in Duncan's typical lineup is the Custom Custom.

Comment

I've heard speculation that it's the pickup used as the basis for this:

...but it is not based on this (you need the '78 Model for this one)

Comment

So it's the pickup used by EVH in the red one, whereas the 78 is based on the white one?

Comment

Originally posted by welmo View Post
          So it's the pickup used by EVH in the red one, whereas the 78 is based on the white one?
          My understanding/hearing of the 'rumor' is the IM1 is, or is nearly identical to, the pickup provided to EVH for the Frankenstein replicas, whereas the '78 Model was developed based on the actual pickup that was in Eddie's real Frankenstein from back in the day (he went through a number of pickup changes on that guitar.) There's internet histories you can look up about that, and I'm sure someone on this forum has better information than me about the relationship between the '78 and the original. In the meantime, here is one account (unverified) about what is now known as the '78 Model. http://www.legendarytones.com/evh%20pickup.html

Legal disclaimer: I am not a Duncan employee and do not speak on behalf of the Duncan company. Any statements made on the forum by me have not been officially corroborated or endorsed by the Duncan company and have no legally binding effect. So there.

Comment

Regardless of who it was designed for or tries to emulate, it is a killer pickup that works beautifully for rock and metal music. I've got a slightly tweaked one that has a little more output and tighter low end, and it's amazing.
            http://www.lonephantom.com
            http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/author/stephen/

Comment

Here's the real scoop. Ever since he finished his Music Man deal, Ed makes sure he owns all his gear designs. When Ed, along with Matt Bruck and Chip Ellis, came to SD to have MJ recreate the Frankenstein pickup, it was agreed, up front, that that pickup design belongs to Ed. Period.

Well, a lot of folks wanted the Frankenstein pickup from SD and we wouldn't (and still won't) sell it to anyone except FMIC. The IM1 is a pickup that is constructed totally differently than the Frankenstein pickup, but it's designed to have the same tone.

Or you can buy an EVH Frankenstein pickup which comes in Relic and "new looking."
              Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
              Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post
                Well, a lot of folks wanted the Frankenstein pickup from SD and we wouldn't (and still won't) sell it to anyone except FMIC. The IM1 is a pickup that is constructed totally differently than the Frankenstein pickup, but it's designed to have the same tone.
                Love that.
                Originally posted by Myaccount876
                Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Originally posted by LonePhantom View Post
                  Regardless of who it was designed for or tries to emulate, it is a killer pickup that works beautifully for rock and metal music. I've got a slightly tweaked one that has a little more output and tighter low end, and it's amazing.
                  Hey I just watched your YT video demo of the IM1 a couple days ago! Thanks to you I'm torn between this or the 35th Anniversary JB for my Strat.
                  Originally posted by Rockstar216
                  Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

Working...
                  X