Alnico 9 swap last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alnico 9 swap last night

So last night i decided to try the new alnico 9 I just bought a few weeks ago. I have a dean 79 series V with the new Michael Amott Dean Tyrant pickup in the bridge. As some may know he switched to this from using the JB for years. It specs out like a JB @ around 16.4k and I can tell he had this pickup made for the Marshalls he uses now. It has absolutely MASSIVE bottom end. It has good mids and sweet high end but it just seems the low end overpowers them. After reading a post about the 9 thinning out a black winter I figured this would be a good match.....AND BOY WAS IT! The bottom end is now subdued to a more normal level and extremely tight. Now you can hear nice crunchy mids and that singing high end. I wish my PC hadn't died so I could pump ny Triple Rec into a DAW with my direct box. It sounds AMAZING. If you have a really dark pickup that sounds good, but you can't eq your rig to make it sound good and not have to re-eq radically when you change guitars, this magnet might be a good solution.

Re: Alnico 9 swap last night

is alnico9 the new alnico8?!

Comment

Well an alnico 8 does the opposite of what an alnico 9 does. I would use an 8 to beef up a bright pickup.

Comment

I think of A9 compared to A8 what A5 is to A2 -- brighter, more output.
        Generic signature line.

Comment

^^ Love that quote at the bottom of your post.

Comment

I don't like the A9. For me it sounds like a ceramic, just costing a lot more.

But hey! Don't mind me...

Comment

Working...
            X