Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humbuckers vs. humbuckers in single coil housing

Hey guys,
    People probably asked this 1,000 years ago, but, is there a tonal difference between a humbucker and that same humbucker in a single coil? Say, between a JB and a JB Jr.?

I'm considering trying a JB Jr. to see if it gets rid of the JB's mud.

My rationale is less string area over the pickup might have a brighter tone due to a narrower magnetic field.

Just wasn't sure if this was true.

Thanks.

Re: Humbuckers vs. humbuckers in single coil housing

Yes they will sound different from each other, due to differences in the coil geometry, shape of the magnetic field and the location of the coils within that magnetic field. I don't have enough experience with the single size HBs to be able to say what the tonal differences would be between them though. I am sure someone will be along shortly with some insight on that.
    Where Words Fail, Music Speaks
    If a positive attitude is a Magnet for positive results, what type positive attitude sounds best, A2, A5, UOA5, A8, C8, or?

Comment

You're right. They are different pickups after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Inflames626 View Post
        My rationale is less string area over the pickup might have a brighter tone due to a narrower magnetic field.

Just wasn't sure if this was true.
        No this isnt true, the width alone wont determine brightness.
        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

one thing i can definitely say is that the DCR resistance (as mentioned countless times) is no means of comparing the two pickups types. JB and JB Jr. might happen to have approximately the same DCR. but what i ve to realize is that, most rail mini humbuckers are overwound to make up for weak magnetic field despite small ceramic magnet underneath. and i can also say the it is way harder to get the setup right than regular humbuckers, because out of the all the offerings of aftermarket pickups in this format only few appeal to most people's tone expectations. getting mid heavy is not problem with these, but the rest of the spectrum is often in between sounds of most of my favourite tones that i m used to with traditional pickups.

Having said that Cool Rails are awesome!

Comment

Working...
          X