Soldering Novice here... need some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldering Novice here... need some help

So i just created an account just for this post basically, since i've spent the past few days scratching my head over this problem. So i replaced 2 of the pups in my old squier strat hss (JB in the bridge, Fender Texas Special in the neck, stock middle) and when i went to plug in the first time there was a horrible buzz. Not a normal single coil buzz either. So i did some research and ended up resoldering all the ground wires again in case of bad connections. Still the same buzz. I tried soldering wires in different places too, i.e. soldering the grounds to different backs of pots and what not. I also tried using my volt meter, and everything looks normal on there, so i'm really confused. If you have any ideas/knowledge as to what this might be, all help is appreciated! Thanks.

(Also, i know it's not my amp, cable, or even electric interference since i've tried 2 different amps and cables with this guitar and my other one, and the other guitar works flawlessly).

Re: Soldering Novice here... need some help

Can you post pics? You might have a bad switch or pot. I had an issue years back when I first started electric with a horrible buzz almost like I had stomped a Gain pedal, when I used the neck pup ( I had individual toggle on/off switches for the pickups on that guitar). Turned out that the switch was bad.
    sigpic
    Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
    JFG Flying V,
    "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
    John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

Originally posted by dancox27 View Post
      So i just created an account just for this post basically, since i've spent the past few days scratching my head over this problem. So i replaced 2 of the pups in my old squier strat hss (JB in the bridge, Fender Texas Special in the neck, stock middle) and when i went to plug in the first time there was a horrible buzz. Not a normal single coil buzz either. So i did some research and ended up resoldering all the ground wires again in case of bad connections. Still the same buzz. I tried soldering wires in different places too, i.e. soldering the grounds to different backs of pots and what not. I also tried using my volt meter, and everything looks normal on there, so i'm really confused. If you have any ideas/knowledge as to what this might be, all help is appreciated! Thanks.

(Also, i know it's not my amp, cable, or even electric interference since i've tried 2 different amps and cables with this guitar and my other one, and the other guitar works flawlessly).
      Are the pickups the only thing you soldered? Did you mess with the input jack, or the wires that lead to and from it, by chance? Did you accidentally break the black wire grounds the bridge (does touching the bridge affect buzzing at all)?

Comment

Originally posted by Jocelyn View Post
        Can you post pics?
        Here ya go:
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
          Are the pickups the only thing you soldered? Did you mess with the input jack, or the wires that lead to and from it, by chance? Did you accidentally break the black wire grounds the bridge (does touching the bridge affect buzzing at all)?
          Well at first it was, but i somehow messed something else up because i have resoldered ALL the ground wires, even the one going to the tremolo claw in both places, since that one got tugged around the most when i was working. and when i touch the bridge it does quiet down a tad, but hardly any so i know that wire is ok. and the volt meter confirms that as well. i also resoldered the input jack on both the jack itself and the pot for the same reason (it got tugged a bit when i was working) and once again i got a signal from the volt meter.

Comment

Originally posted by Jocelyn View Post
            You might have a bad switch or pot. I had an issue years back when I first started electric with a horrible buzz almost like I had stomped a Gain pedal, when I used the neck pup ( I had individual toggle on/off switches for the pickups on that guitar). Turned out that the switch was bad.
            So how would you recommend checking for a bad pot or switch? Because i was wondering myself if that was the problem, but i don't know how to check the pots or switch if they're still good.

Comment

Does it buzz no matter what position your selector switch is in?
              Is there anything on the guitar that you can touch that makes the buzz get worse? (does is get louder when you touch the strings or bridge?)
              Is there anything on the guitar that you can touch that makes the buzz get quieter?
              Scott Miller
              New Products/Technical Guy/Something Something
              Seymour Duncan

Comment

Well at first it was, but i somehow messed something else up because i have resoldered ALL the ground wires, even the one going to the tremolo claw in both places, since that one got tugged around the most when i was working. and when i touch the bridge it does quiet down a tad, but hardly any so i know that wire is ok. and the volt meter confirms that as well. i also resoldered the input jack on both the jack itself and the pot for the same reason (it got tugged a bit when i was working) and once again i got a signal from the volt meter.
                How does turning the knobs or switching the pickup selector affect the buzzing, if at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Miller View Post
                  Does it buzz no matter what position your selector switch is in?
                  Is there anything on the guitar that you can touch that makes the buzz get worse? (does is get louder when you touch the strings or bridge?)
                  Is there anything on the guitar that you can touch that makes the buzz get quieter?
                  Yeah it buzzes in all positions, but worst in the single coil positions. It still buzzes on the humbucker and in the notched position on the neck and bridge (essentially humbucking) but not as bad. it's still unpleasant though. it gets a little louder when i touch the actual magnets themselves, or the actual hot wire (but i'm sure that's normal). and it gets slightly quieter when i touch the bridge.

Comment

How does turning the knobs or switching the pickup selector affect the buzzing, if at all?
                    it buzzes when i turn the volume off of course, and the tone knobs make the buzz less prominent, but it's because they're just doing what they're supposed to you know? so i think those are fine. but the buzz is worst in the single coil positions, and better in the humbucking positions

Comment

Are you by any chance plugged into the same circuit as fluorescent lighting or a light that is on a dimmer that is not at 100%?

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                        Are you by any chance plugged into the same circuit as fluorescent lighting or a light that is on a dimmer that is not at 100%?
                        Yeah i turned the dimmers off in the room and it's still there. it helps, but there's still hum above normal.

Comment

one thing i'm going to try is getting some copper tape and properly insulating the inside of the guitar. it should be done anyways so ill see if that helps.

Comment

it buzzes when i turn the volume off of course, and the tone knobs make the buzz less prominent, but it's because they're just doing what they're supposed to you know? so i think those are fine. but the buzz is worst in the single coil positions, and better in the humbucking positions
                            It should definitely be silent when the volume is at zero, that suggests there is a problem between the output jack and the volume pot. Take a closer look at the output jack and make sure the ground is really going to the outter ring, and the positive to the tip of the cable. Also try other guitar cables.

If none of that helps, do some elimination. Unsolder non-essential components like the tone pots until the problem disappears, them make note of what you disconnected.

Comment

It should definitely be silent when the volume is at zero, that suggests there is a problem between the output jack and the volume pot. Take a closer look at the output jack and make sure the ground is really going to the outter ring, and the positive to the tip of the cable. Also try other guitar cables.

If none of that helps, do some elimination. Unsolder non-essential components like the tone pots until the problem disappears, them make note of what you disconnected.
                              Oops! I meant it DOESN'T buzz with the volume at 0. My bad... anyways I'll try taking stuff out of the signal 1 by 1 and see if I can locate the problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X