banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Pup Recommendation thread (70's Hondo LP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Pup Recommendation thread (70's Hondo LP)

So I have these guys

THey came standard with "Dimarzio OEM" pickups, which apparently are "Super 2" types. (Supposed to be extra bright, not as high output as a Super DIstortion though). Anyway, I was planning on turning the brown one into an Ace Frehley "ACE" tribute-type thing,

so KISS covers and other 70's music covers are the idea here. (Didn't EVERYBODY want to grow up to be Ace?)
    So I guess the easy answer would be a Super Distortion set, but there's gotta be other choices that may (or may not be) better. I guess the ideal outcome would be for this thing to sound like an LP, at least somewhat. Seeing as how it's a thin ash body (It's a LOT thinner than a real LP) maple neck instrument, we're starting out completely different here anyway. So, what do I gotta do to make this thing sound like I'd like it to? THank you!

Re: Another Pup Recommendation thread (70's Hondo LP)

I'd go with the Whole Lotta Humbucker set.

Comment

Oh, you need to talk to Aceman here. He'll take care of you. He has a serious bro-mance with Ace, that's bordering on unhealthy.
      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

ToneZone will do what you need….it will make up for skinny body etc…

But a regular SuperD is not a bad choice either.

You know the story of his real double cut, don't you? Tragic.

By thee way…ever seen pics of this? Straight out of 1973, SuperD + PAF…

Last edited by Aceman; 10-01-2014, 07:23 PM.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
          You know the story of his real double cut, don't you? Tragic.
          Something to the effect of, it started life as his #1 LP and he blew it up or set it on fire with the pyro he did, and had somebody turn it into what you see here. THen my guess is he sold it for blow $ or something... I don't actually know, now that I think of it. I just think Gibson should have made this a regular offering, it's so cool (to me at least).

THanks for the pup recommendations, guys.

Comment

And laugh if you want….

But This:

+

These:

Into one of these:

And finally this:

Is the setup that Bon Jovi is talking about when he sings "I've seen a million faces, and I've rocked them all…"

Comment

Originally posted by daan View Post
              Something to the effect of, it started life as his #1 LP and he blew it up or set it on fire with the pyro he did, and had somebody turn it into what you see here. THen my guess is he sold it for blow $ or something... I don't actually know, now that I think of it. I just think Gibson should have made this a regular offering, it's so cool (to me at least).

THanks for the pup recommendations, guys.
              That's pretty much it….

Comment

No laughing here, this

plus this

(don't actually know specifically what it is, I just know it was a whole lot louder than the fake HB's that came in my Hondo)
                into an orange DOD distortion, into a big-ol' Crate amp was my first real rig (besides the Teisco thing into my dad's Sony reel-to-reel, but that hardly counts, right?) Kids these days don't know how easy they got it, what with the near pro-level cheap entry level gear you can get anywhere. Oh, and get off my lawn.

Comment

Oh, and Ace Man rules, by the way (both "ours" on here and Mr Frehley)

Comment

Working...
                  X