X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck pickup suggestions?

Hi everybody,

Ive got a guitar I want to upgrade and I have absolutely no idea on a neck pickup. It's a squier affinity strat (without being rude, please dont tell me not to mod this guitar, I find it easy to play and its my project guitar). Ive checked under the pickguard and its routed HSH. I play metal more than anything, but I dont down tune. Ive got an SD JBJ for the bridge, nothing yet for the middle. Due to the routing humbuckers of any size would be fine as a suggestion, it just means that ill have to mod the pickguard slightly.

Thanks,

Re: Neck pickup suggestions?

Why not buy a 2nd pickguard. Have one with 2 hums for metal stuff and one with singles for some other stuff, easy fast swap when different circumstances present itself.

Anyway, what kinda metal? What kinda amp? Do you use pedals to boost or distort? What do you use the neck position for?

Comment

At the minute I have a nuX frontline 15 amp with EHX metal muff distort pedal. Im a rhythm player and play mostly metal music that i write, but if you want a style id put it close to iron maiden style stuff, but with more of a 'growl' (ie a bit more gain). I basically use the neck position for everything unless I want a bit more of a trebly bite during a song. And I could get a second pickguard but im fine just getting it cut. The only time i need tonal versatility really is when im doing a clean passage, but that can be covered by the middle pickup (any suggestions for this would be great but not necessary).
      Last edited by Der Oberherr; 10-05-2014, 01:50 PM.

Comment

For Iron Maiden neck tones in a strat I'd look at the '59 (maybe the little '59 if you'd like to refrain from cutting up your guard) or Dimarzio Air Classic.
        JB and '59 is a pretty classic combination. I've got that combo myself in a maple board superstrat and found it very versatile.

Comment

Get a super distortion or a super 2

Metal for life!!
          "The world is full of kings and queens
          Who blind your eyes and steal your dreams
          It's heaven and hell"

Comment

Cheers people, ill make sure to check them out.
            And keep the suggestions coming, ill be more than happy to have any opinions going.

Comment

I absolutely love my Pearly Gates neck. It might pair well with a JB.

Comment

What do you want to use the neck pickup for when you are playing?
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                Yogi Berra was correct.
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                  What do you want to use the neck pickup for when you are playing?
                  Like i said earlier, basically everything. I love to play rhythm and unless I want some treble, I always use the neck pickup.

Comment

jazz
                    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                      jazz
                      For metal? That seems an unusual choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Der Oberherr View Post

It's not really a jazz PU. It's bright and clear and holds up well under high gain (better than a PGN).
                        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Dont let the name fool you. It is a great versatile pickup with a silly name IMO .
                          Last edited by Jocelyn; 10-06-2014, 10:25 AM.
                          sigpic
                          Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
                          JFG Flying V,
                          "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
                          John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

Yup. Jazz is great for metal. Very defined and articulate for shredding. Full Shred neck is even more articulate (Jazz neck with hex poles from what I gather).
                            Ironically, back in the day I've seen a lot of fusion and jazz guys with the same gear as the death metal guys. Active pickups through solid state and hybrid amps.

Comment

Fair enough.I may have to check the Jazz pup. Oh and by the way, im not a shredder by any sense of the word, i'm just a rhythm guy who plays the odd slow solo every now and again. Still keep the suggestions coming, I like to hear peoples thoughts.

Comment

Working...
                              X