Distortion Vs. Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distortion Vs. Custom

I think this has been done before, so sorry if it's a repost. I'm going to put either a Distortion or Custom on the bridge of my Ibanez S-series. I had already settled on the distortion but I can't find a Trem spaced one ANYWHERE (quite literally).

I play a wide variety of music. The JB in the bridge sounded spectacular but a little too round and muddy for me at the same time for chording. This is going to be used for moderate to heavy rock to blues, etc. I don't really know much about the Custom. Which do you think would be a better pickup for me? I just wanted something crunchier.

Re: Distortion Vs. Custom

I think that the Custom may be better for you if you are looking to play a wide variety of music. I've got a Custom in my RG1527 7-string and it is a great pickup, nice and open pure rock tone. Back off of it a little bit and you can get some nice blues tones as well. I have a Distortion in my Charvel 650 and I still make the claim that it is the best metal riffing pickup ever. Both are fantastic pickups but I think that the Custom may be a little more verstile and suitable for the music you are playing. Odd that you can't find a trem-spaced Distortion anywhere, though.
    Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

the custom is more versitle for sure, its clean sound is much better than the distortions imo, but the distortion has a lot more guts. a tb6 shouldnt be that hard to find

Comment

man guys, I checked all the local stores, all the major online retailers, even black rose and Lew didn't have one either. Not even ebay.

Comment

im sure someone can get one for ya

hey lew or john, whats the skinny on the tb?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy
            im sure someone can get one for ya

hey lew or john, whats the skinny on the tb?

already asked 'em, all out.

Comment

Hey guys, new to the forum, i posted this before but since its on topic i think ill do it again

I have a rhoads rr-3 by jackson, and was wondering how the Duncan distortion would sound in the bridge position. Im looking for a nice crunch for rythm, ya know the kind nice and tight. I play Van halen, Metallica, and mostly other classic rock/classic metal, any help is appreciated!

Comment

Custom would be better IMO, since you'd be playing a variety of styles the Custom seems more versatile. i have one in my charvel and it just kicks! im able to go from metal to a little SRV blues.

Comment

hey thanks for the reply man! I heard the custom can go bright in alder guitars, is this true? its made in a trembucker model correct?

Comment

yeah, trembucker is available.

if my knowledge serves me correctly, then the rhoads has a JB copy in it or a Distortion copy in it. the custom is in between the Distortion and JB for brightness. listen to jason becker for an idea of the Custom sound. it's a PAF knocked up a few knotches. i love mine

Comment

oh cool, ya the rhoads has invader copies that are etremely muddy :-( yuck, anyways, the custom is much more balanced then the distortion right? i mean since alder is a bright wood wouldnt that mean i need a pickup with more bass in it? im new at this so bear with me :-D, also, the custom has a pretty good output correct?

Comment

also do you know if the guys at guitar center can cancel an order? i already ordered the tb-6, and now im kind of regretting it wanting to change it to a tb-5

Comment

it's guitar center, they'll be able to sell it off easy so they won't give you a hassle

Comment

Working...
                          X