Ibanez RG270 changing pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez RG270 changing pickups

I have a ibanez RG270 and i'm putting in a Dimarzio PAF pro on the neck and Seymour Duncan Screaming Demon on the bridge. I'm gonna leave the single pickup in the middle. I have one of those weird 5way switches that are 8 points in a row. I'm having trouble figuring out where the wires go. The old pickups only had a red, white and bare. The new one have 5 wires. From what I figured out looking trough this forum is the color codes for SD and DiMar... Any help is greatly appreicated....Boz...

Re: Ibanez RG270 changing pickups

Hi Boz52 and welcome to the forum!
    Go here for a SD-wiring diagram for your RG270:
    Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

Take in account that DiMarzio uses differnt color codes, so you ll need to wire the PAF Pro different from this diagram (since the color-code differs from SD, when you want a diagram to check for sure if you are right on the PAF Pro wiring check this:

The 5-way shown in the diagrams are the same as on your RG270, but look different,it's as following:
    The left row (4 solder points) are the 4 first solder points (when starting from the left) from your 5-way (when your guitar is face down, with the arm to your left side),the right row on the SD diagram (again 4 solder points), will be the lower 4 solder points of your 5-way. Also take in account that one of the humbuckers (probably will) can be out of phase with your Ibanez SC in the middle, simply reverse the phase of the humbucker that's out of phase with the SC, you ll find wich two wires you must switch on both SD and DiMarzio's website(in DiMarzio's case it's swopping the red and green wire). If you still have difficulties to wire your guitar, feel free to email me, i ll be glad to try and help you out!
    Good luck!
    "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

Thanks for your help and for the warm welcome.....i'll keep you posted...Boz

Comment

Originally posted by boz52
        Thanks for your help and for the warm welcome.....i'll keep you posted...Boz
        That s what s the forum s for Boz! No thanks needed!!
        Good luck with placing your pups, and feel free to contact me when in trouble installing!
        Good luck!
        "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

Are you planning on splitting the coils of the humbuckers? If not, wire it up the same way, simply solder the red and white together on the pups (don't know about dimarzio's color codes, though).

I'm pretty sure Ibanez has wiring diagrams on there sight with the Japanese switch. Might be worth a look. I took one apart a long time ago but can't remember where all the leads go. If I can think to look tonight whan I get home I might have drawn a schematic of the 8-in-a-row Ibanez switch.
          Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

I wanted to have the same setup as the original setup..
            1. Neck
            2. neck/single
            3. single
            4. single/bridge
            5. bridge
            Is it better to to just put them in a 3 -way type:
            1. neck
            2.----
            3. single
            4.----
            5. bridge
            What you all think?

Comment

Well, I put them on and when I switch to the neck position, the sound cuts on and off. If I shake the 5-way switch, It goes from full sound to hi and low.. Do I have a Bad switch now or was it my soldering?...Boz

Comment

Working...
              X